Saturday 25 September 2010

Challenging myself

My guild is making a group quilt in blacks and whites and aqua. So I challenged myself today

to make mitered corners....not bad, if I say so myself

fussy-cut patches (love that Lipinski print in the centre, which is almost used up)

 sew accurate HST and hour glass blocks

and  use lots of different fabrics....and use up the little bits.
Here' s the whole set of six -- we're supposed to do two a month, but I want to get these out of the way...

They're all variations on the nine-patch, and I used up most of the aqua fat quarter the challenger handed out....and lots of my b/w stash as well. (yes, I do actually cut up yardage...occasionally!) And I impressed myself by fairly accurate sewing and cutting off only a few points. For this challenge, I set up my Featherweight machine and screwed in the guide for an accurate 1/4 inch seam. (I have to admit that's often my problem -- I'm not always fussy about accuracy.)

14 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

I, too, am pretty laid-back about corners. Sewing must remain fun for me or else what's the point, I say. Others differ on that !~!

Michelle said...

Great color combo...nice work!

PrairiePeasant said...

Nice work! They all look great!

Maria said...

Great blocks and I love the colours

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

these are awesome! great mitered corners! You have some great black and white prints! The AQUA star is fabulous too. and I love that scrappy one using tons of fabrics! You have to give these up? I'm not sure I could do that...

Tonya Ricucci said...

whee, love this color combo and the fabrics are great.

Elaine Adair said...

New (for me) color combinations and really NICE! I have a bunch of B/W that I never know what to do with - this will give me some incentive to USE them.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Smashing and so very neat. I love turquoise so much

Gari in AL said...

What a great mix of fabrics, blocks, and color. This should make a beautiful quilt.

Browndirtcottage said...

WOW.....I.LIKE.

Joyce said...

They look pretty well perfect to me. I love the combo of black and white with any other one color. THe aqua is a great choice.

Sharon said...

Great blocks and great colors! That turquoise really pops.

I think the your sewing looks great! Yeah, I've noticed my precision sewing isn't so much anymore, since I got "liberated". And yet, somehow, I'm good with that. It's gotta be fun for me!

Teresa Rawson said...

Those look fabulous...I like the colors!! What a great idea for a group project!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Hi from Ruth! said...

Well, I have to say that I'm not a quilter and I have no idea what mitered corners are, but these are beautiful quilts!! The colours are great, the patterns very attractive. I'm envious of you talents, and wish I had a bunch of these in my home! They're lovely.

Blessings,

Ruth

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>