Wednesday 26 May 2010

Applique is a motherhood issue



These are the 10 squares my mother has finished for our joint modern floral quilt  project from hand dyed fabrics. Yes, I know there's 11, but the 2nd one from the left in the top row is one of the 10  I had already done. I think it's going to be a lovely quilt (my mother is aiming for queen-sized, but I'm still uncommitted) but one of my mother's friends asked her why she was doing such "simple" applique. (I'm still finding it challenging getting the curves smooth and the stitches small and invisible.
But this quilt is why people ask about "simple" applique. It' my mother's   award winning Baltimore Album quilt.  My applique skills are a long way away from attempting this sort of project with her.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Nothing wrong with SIMPLE! They are so graphic and fabulous! it will be stunning!! Your mother's quilt is fantastic too... nice work!

Myra said...

Don't you worry there Brenda! Sometimes the "simple" route can be down right wonderful! Not all are meant to be experts at applique... The quilt will be lovely I am sure!!! I'm looking forward to see the end result! 8-)
Happy stitchings!

Joyce said...

I love the simple applique. Actually the complex Baltimore Album types, beautiful as they are, make me feel a bit tired. I can't imagine doing it on such a large quilt. You have to love the process I guess.

PrairiePeasant said...

Oh gosh! I'll stick with simple too! In fact, I prefer it anyway.

Rose said...

I love those simple blocks...I keep thinking about starting something like that myself.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>