Thursday 4 February 2010

Smale scale projects

After completing some big projects at my retreat, this week I've been concentrating on little ones. At left is an Amish style one patch made from one inch squares. It is handquilted in freehand fans and bound and will be donated to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative.
(For anyone interested in the quilts at my retreat, head over to visit Prairie Peasant to see her posts on the retreat. I kept forgetting my camera in my room, three flights up.)

I've had lots of entries for my selvage needle book giveaway (scroll down two posts since you can still enter), but I gave three away at my retreat, so I decided to make some more. As I was looking through my selvages, I found some with lots of words and so I kept sewing the same selvage piece to itself because it just worked.
That Metropolitan Museum of Art selvage had the words repeated continually, so I just kept using it and it provides lots of text on this needlecase cover.
And then I kept going with more the continuous selvage look. I also made one with little bits and pieces of solids in a wonky Amish style. Working with a small 5 by 9 canvas is quite fun, and if you don't like the idea, just move on.

6 comments:

Joyce said...

I have another bag of strings collected for you. The Amish one patch is very cute.

PrairiePeasant said...

I like the Amish pieces, especially those 1" squares! My lovely needlecase is being put to good use keeping my bookbinding needles separate. Thanks! :)

Sharon said...

Your needlecases are all so charming! I especially like those "wordy" ones!

Your little Amish quilt is great. You finished that quickly! And great hand quilting. I hope it brings lots of $$ for AAQI!

Tomorrow (2-5) is my blogiversary too and I'm having a giveaway on my blog! I'll post it tomorrow, so come on by!

antique quilter said...

love the needlecase and especially the MMA
words on it.
oh let us know when your little quilt comes up for sale I may just need to bid on this one for my wall of little quilts
thanks
Kathie

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Very cute, and a lot of patience to sew so small

Pat said...

The Amish colors are so nice....I loved looking at them in the Amish quilt shops when we were there in November.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>