Saturday 2 January 2010

Liberated plates


I began the new year in the sewing room, putting together this little quilt (8 by 10) from scraps of the Dresdens. I used the dozens of triangles left from cutting the blades, about an inch at the widest part, to make a string quilt for the Liberated quilts challenge for AAQI. I had resolutely thrown all these scraps out, thinking they were too small, but fished them out of the garbage and made a little quilt with about 100 little strings. It is quite stiff because of all the seam allowances, but isn't it fun? I used a b/w Mark Lipinski print for the back and binding. Thanks Clare and Michele for organizing this challenge.

Here it is in the midst of the Dresdens, which it matches nicely. These plates are addictive and I've been using three different templates with different numbers of blades. I've done some curves, some pointed, and some circular. I know that traditionally they're supposed to be each appliqued on a square, but I'm leaning toward a more organic layout and thinking of a phrase to go with them, something along a hospitality theme. How about: "We'll set a place for you?" or maybe these will become a set of placemats with a tablerunner. I'd like to eat my breakfast on one of these bright plates.

19 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Oh I love your little "scrap" quilt. Now you'll never be able to throw away the little scraps again.

Kim Brackett said...

I love the way all the different dresdens look together. Very cool! And the tiny leftover quilt is adorable. Aren't you glad you fished out those scraps?

Sarah said...

i'm loving your plates! and your liberated plates! great work!

Unknown said...

Love the Dresden Plates, but that little string quilt really makes my heart sing. Fabulous!

Michele said...

Love the mini! It's definitely a piece of art!

Michele Bilyeu said...

Absolutely perfect in every way. As I already told you...you are amazing and this quilt for AAQI is so fabulous. I jumped up and down with joy when I heard you had one finished and did back flips when I saw it.

Oh oh, another one 'l' Michele to be confused with ;)

YankeeQuilter said...

Amazing what a few scraps and lots of patience can produce! Congrats...BTW love the double Dresden!

Mary Johnson said...

One of these days I'm going to do a Dresden Plate quilt too but I'll probably wait until they come out with a GO die for cutting it out!

The mini is very cute.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your Dresdens are amazing ... and that little PQ is totally awesome. Way to go!!!!

Darlene said...

Your little challenge quilt is adorable! And it's so cool that you made it from scraps you were going to throw away. I'll be starting my challenge quilt tomorrow.

You did a great job on the Dresden plates, too. I never really cared much for that pattern, but you've made me see it in a whole new light!

beth said...

oooh! I love that little quilt! I think I'll go make one right now!
and of course the dresdens are beautiful!!!

Elaine Adair said...

What fun - you really went to town with your modern plates. Thanks for the eye candy and inspiration - the Dresden Plate can be hip and modern!

Gari in AL said...

Aren't Dresden's fun? I have made two quilts but given them away so I think one for me is in the offing. In fact, as I write I am thinking of fabric I already have that I could use. thanks....

Fiber Babble said...

At first the Dresdens were impressive, but not 'my' thing - but WOW! Put them together like you have and it's wonderful!

Great job!

9patchnurse said...

First time I've thought about making 'plates'. They look gorgeous! Especially the different ones put together. And the little quilt looks great.

Joyce said...

The little scrap quilt is precious! Love the colors. Your design wall looks amazing. The Dresdens look like big colorful snowflakes.

Purple Pam said...

I love all your dresden plates in any order you choose. They are so colorful and vibrant.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

LOVE that little scrap quilt! How fun is that? Love the colours of the plates too...my kinds of colour :-).

Jacqui in SW ON Canada

Browndirtcottage said...

Well I'm just ooooing and aahhing!
Love....Love everything!!!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>