Tuesday 5 January 2010

good things in small packages



I've made two more little quilts for AAQI as part of the Liberated challenge. The one on the left used more of the wedges/triangles left from cutting Dresden plates. I used curved strip piecing in a swirly b/w print to join them and machine and hand quilted it. The one at the right combines three of the free-pieced roses I made way back. I have another dozen, but they're hard to put together since the angles don't line up. These two join the string pieced one I did on the weekend and I'm going to register them asap and get them in the mail. I've found it's worth sending more than one at a time in terms of postage. I also need to name them. The one at the left sort of looks like quilts blowing in the wind, but right at this moment, my creative naming skills are a bit fuzzy.

On the weekend, I pieced together a long-promised coffee cozy for a French press coffee maker. It's just a rectangle with strings to tie at the handle part, backed with that metallic Thinsulate stuff and bound with a selvage. I find selvages are quick for binding -- I sew on the raw edge, fold over the selvage and sew it with a decorative stitch. You can see the words along the selvage on on the picture at the left, which features the back of the matching mat. As you can see, I had a dot theme going to make a bright cozy to match the morning jolt of coffee.

10 comments:

Mego said...

Gotta tell you I LOVE those roses! I made tons of them in the early aughts for a breast cancer quilt! When the rose looked good we just finished it with a round of green until we could square off the block. You are a VERY talented lady.

sophie said...

I love both pieces and the coffee cozy, too. I've been sipping a lot of tea and keep thinking I need a proper tea cozy. Maybe I'll make one with some of those free-pieced roses. I like those alot every time I see them, but have never made any myself.

Joyce said...

The French press cover is a great idea. I have one but my main complaint is that the coffee cools off too fast. Maybe I'll make one and start to use mine again.
I'm trying to get organized to send some quilts away too but so far it's been on the back burner.

heath said...

I'm thinking there's a saying about "a laundry list of complaints" or something... I agree that the first one looks like something waving in the wind. I'm certain you'll come up with something good to call it.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Blowing in the Wind is perfect for the first one (AWESOME little quilt BTW).

Trio works for the roses ... LOVE what you're doing!

Deborah said...

Blowing in the Wind sounds like a good possibility. I really like these.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

These look great - and for a great cause as well.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Love that one on the left!

Michele Bilyeu said...

You are so talented and even more importantly, you are so willing to give and to share. These are darling!!!

Sharon said...

I love your little quilts! You were really speedy with these and they are all beautiful. Great job!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>