Friday 21 August 2009

Passionate about quilting?




This summer I've neither been reasonable or passionate about quilt making. Instead, I've mostly taken a break. This is a (not-so-great) photo of postcard of an art quilt at the National Gallery in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It says something about my state of mind on another rainy summer day that I can't find the postcard now to tell you the name of the artist! In the postcard, it's clear that the letters are made separately and attached to the quilted background. Note: The artist is Joyce Wieland, and the quilt was made in 1968 and refers to a famous quote by then Canadian prime minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau. It measures 265.6 by 302.5 cm (12o by 137 inches) and in real life is much brighter.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

hope it's a welcome break and you're happy doing other things. and, of course, hope you'll come back to quilting - maybe when the weather is cooler!

Joyce said...

Very nice. I guess Pierre didn't follow his own advice when he married Margaret. Imagine being thrust into that job at 19. No wonder she had a nervous breakdown!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

But I like Passion better

Sharon said...

Hope your break is a good one. Sometimes we need to take one, and come back to what we love refreshed and renewed.

And I'll take Passion over Reason any day!

Millie said...

That card will make a nice quilt...I have seen so many letter quilts but never made one myself.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>