Thursday 11 June 2009

Sewing machine love

I have an abundance of sewing machines at my house, including this one that's not functional, a Singer treadle being used as furniture, and a Singer 99K that I'm teaching myself to machine quilt on, and of course, my workhorse Elna SP that I love. But I'm looking for more! I'm looking for good used mechanical sewing machines for recent refugees to Winnipeg. These are women who actually sew their own clothes, unlike many of us (I used to, but don't anymore) and who would really appreciate the gift of a sewing machine. If you live in or near Winnipeg and have one to donate, email me or leave a comment. If you live too far away, consider donating grandma's old Singer or Bernina to refugees in your community. I'm a do-gooder deep down, and I encountered this group of new Canadians for a story I wrote for my work. The sew-er in me responded to the story of how a church collected 30 mechanical sewing machines from households which didn't use them and redestributed them to these women who do. They wept when they got them. So I'm thinking that maybe one of my old machines might find a new home, and if you have some you don't use, maybe you can consider doing the same. Let's keep the world sewing, and the old-but-good sewing machines humming.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Great idea....I wish I was your neighbor I love dogooders and I 'm one too!

Happy sewing

Joyce said...

I have one here that you can probably have when you get here. It's a crank one, not a treadle though. I talked to the owner of the newish restaurant/antique store in Morden, and he said that with one phone call he could have his place full of old sewing machines. It might be worth having a chat with him. I didn't ask any questions so I don't know if they would be donations or not.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a nice idea. Especially a sewing machine that is not only good for sewing your own clothing, but a person can have a business in alterations and custom work.

Cher said...

bright idea! our sewing mechanic gathers used machines and takes them on mission to Africa-lots of places to donate good old machines and make a difference in the lives of those that receive them.

Vals Quilting said...

What a great cause, I gave one of my sewing machines to my cousin who wanted to sew and couldn't afford a machine...my Aunt gave me the same machine and i learnt to sew on it - I thinking sewing and providing knowledge to anyone who wants to learns is so great.
Valerie
http://www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-quilting/

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>