Tuesday 9 June 2009

Moving forward, standing still

I had a colourful birthday! On top of all those yummy hand dyes we made in my mother's studio, I took home a bunch of colourful gifts too. At left are the gifts from my family: Freddy and Gwen Collaborate Again and a pair of orange/salmon/pink Birkenstock sandals. (OK, I live with a bunch of guys, and I was unsubtle about what I wanted. I may have even picked out the sandals myself. But aren't they great!)

At right is an apron from my friend Cheryl, who pieced it from Laurel Burch scraps and brights passed along to her. (I think I contributed some of those strips at the bottom.) Very fun, and I'll feel well-dressed in the kitchen, and it coordinates with my sandals. I live in my Birks, and I think this is my fourth pair over 22 years.

Of course, quilters give each other quilty gifts, and my new quilt friend Heather found some word fabric for me. Fun, fun, fun. I may make some re-usable gift bags from the birthday fabric. The postcards at the right are from Laura, who found these on Etsy. I'm imagining that the quilter who owns this bike stopped at just one more quilt shop on the way home to add to the tower of fabrics on her bike, or maybe she dashed into a coffee shop on her way home from a guild exchange, or she's buying some chocolate to share before heading off on her annual quilt retreat.


These are great gifts and I'm going to enjoy playing with them.
These days I'm excelling at procrastination, but only at certain stages of the quilting process. I'm fairly quick to throw new fabric in the washer and get it into the stash, and I might even cut into it within days of getting it home.And I can design and piece tops quickly. If I'm hand quilting, I'll even layer, baste and pin it, and then get to stitching and binding. But if I have to mail it? Nope, can't do it. These four little quilts for the AAQI have been done for months, but somehow I haven't found time to photograph, register, and mail them. (shame, shame.) Got a mental block on that one.
As I have with that stack of flimsies on below. I think it's six! or maybe seven. Two of them date back to last summer and just need tying. I'm not sure how to proceed with the other. Some are baby quilts for the local kids hospital, others are just because, and at least one is for me.
.

8 comments:

Donna said...

Isn't it amazing how once a log-jam forms at one stage fo the process, so many tops get "caught up" there before becoming finished quilts...

jovaliquilts said...

What a great birthday! I have always wanted some wild shoes.
And I really like your AQS quilt (at least the one on top that I can see). The angle gives is such a jaunty feel.

Janet said...

You are lucky to have family and friends who really "get you". I would be happy to receive any and all of those things, especially the shoes.
Glad you had such a nice birthday. Great blocks for a worthy cause, my quilting skills go to MS.

Clare said...

The birthday fabric is so yummy and I adore your sandals.

Love the little AAQI quilts. ARe you going to do the Liberated Quilters challenge?

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Well, what a haul! Your birthday was a true extravaganza-- When are you having another one?
Happy Birthday

Joyce said...

Nice birthday gifts! I hate mailing things too. One reason I'm hesitant to start an Etsy shop.

Sharon said...

Well, you're not alone on that procrastination problem! I have boxes full of stalled projects, and I'm also not good on getting to the post office. Good luck.

Your AAQI quilts look wonderful! I really like that top one.

But it looks like you had a great birthday! Love those Birkies! What fun goodies!

Tonya Ricucci said...

cute sandals! so glad you got the book too! I'm definitely procrastinating myself like crazy.....

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>