Wednesday 29 April 2009

Chimneys, cornerstones and 9-patches

I've been sewing precision blocks lately in a not-very precise way. I've been part of the Friday block party for most weeks, although I've passed on some of excessively triangular blocks. My accuracy has improved though, which was my goal. Wonky or not, it's good to figure out some consistency in cutting and sewing. So I took one of the blocks we made several weeks back, and made 11 more in blues and greens and whites, using a mixture of new prints, 30s reproductions, gifts from friends, and whatever happened to be in the stash in those colours.

Here's the flimsy with hubby's legs. I'm debating about whether to put that double blue check around as a border. Right now, it's 39 by 52, and I will bind it in the check, as well as use it on the back. It's a Michael Miller print called Clown Check that I got for $2/metre in the Fabricland sale bin. (Fabricland is a Canadian chain store. Here in Winnipeg we don't have many choices in fabric stores.) I modified the sashing strips a bit to get a nine-patch in the intersections, which I think is fun.
In real, the diagonals in blue and green are a bit more prominent. I was planning on giving this to the local children's hospital for sick boy babies. I think part of my accuracy problems in this quilt (I had to cut 2 inch strips in various sizes, and somehow they didn't always work out) were due to the colours -- those blues and blue/greens don't contrast enough with the green cutting mat. I realized too late I should have used my pink mat (which is a lot smaller) for the contrast.

6 comments:

pwl said...

Your quilt is very pretty, and I'm encouraged to think about trying something similar myself. I've been sewing together 2" squares to try to improve my accuracy. I've discovered - to my chagrin - that I should have measured them first to verify the size (they weren't cut by me). Either that, or I'm REALLY in trouble.

Tonya Ricucci said...

it's beautiful - I like the amount of contrast you have in it. not sure it needs the checked border....

Joyce said...

I love blue so this quilt really appeals to me. Well done. Hope to see you this weekend.

Bebesboutique said...

OOh I like it, the diagonal squares are very nice. I never even thought about the color of my cutting mat causeing me to cut wrong when the fabric doesn't contrast enough. That must be my problem at times. Thanks for shareing.

Karen said...

Is Fabricland a local store or online?

Cher said...

I think it turned out great...and some lucky little boy will surely agree

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>