Sunday 1 February 2009

Success with Words fail me

My Words Fail Me year-long work in progress is at the flimsy stage, after some concentrated and creative sewing yesterday at my annual quilt retreat.
I posted a few pictures a week ago, and Quilt Diva Julie emailed me a design she thought would work. So I printed it out, took it with me, and laid out my words mostly according to her plan.

Her idea was to have a strip of fabric running around the words from the centre outward, sort of like a labyrinth or Grecian key design. With the help of my friend Karen from our guild Strip Piecers, we tweaked it and came up with this:

And after hours of sewing, cutting off here and adding more there liberated quilting style, asking Karen for an opinion, it is finished:
If you start at the red strip on top of the word "calm" in the centre and keep going clockwise, eventually you end up at "enlighten" at the end of it. (That was totally serendipitous, since "enlighten" was the longest word and needed to be at the outside.)

I brought my Advice from Home quilt to work on, and several other word quilts to show. So here my portion of the retreat space is overrun by words. When I left this afternoon, the woman across the aisle from me said "Goodbye, wordy lady."
I've been making word quilts over the last year -- I have two more finished ones at home, plus some with word labels on the back, and three more that I've given away. So I guess I am "wordy."

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so inspired by this project and wanted to thank you for sharing your process with us.

Millie said...

I love your words, they are terrific.

PrairiePeasant said...

Looks like you had a productive and successful weekend. Words didn't fail you.

jovaliquilts said...

What a blast! I love the way you ended up putting your words together. And I'm a big fan of Advice from Home.

Fiber Babble said...

I don't know how you could have made this quilt any better. The layout is inspired, the colors perfect. Truly greater than the sum of its parts (and the parts are pretty good, too!).

Great job. Would you like to adopt me?

;-) - kinda

Joyce said...

Your words turned out perfectly. What will you do with them? Is it too big for a wall hanging?

Mary Johnson said...

I've enjoyed seeing all your projects and these look great but I've stalled on my word border for my HeartString quilt - I think because I'm just not happy with my plan for it SO I've decided I'll use the ones I've already made and piece them in the backing.

Karen said...

That's different! I love it.

em's scrapbag said...

How absolutely wonderful! I really enjoy all your word quilts.

Quiltdivajulie said...

BRAVO!

Words Fail Me is awesome!

Humbly grateful to have played a small part :-)

Elaine Adair said...

YOUR words are inspirational! I could never have imagined how creative and impressive they would turn out. Excellent job, Wordy Lady.

Clare said...

I think this has got to be one of your best. It's turned out to be a real beauty. Congratulations.

Selvage Quilter said...

I love your word quilts. Have you thought about quilts that tell a story, or interesting quotes, or favorite Bible verses? So many possibilities. How about writing a book about quilts with words on them?
Karen

Lynda said...

All your word quilts are fabulous! The Greek key idea is a really good one and works really well. What's next?!

Mary L. said...

I love these quilts. Thanks for the inspiration!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>