Wednesday 4 February 2009

Intricate hand work and piecing from my retreat

Here's some images from the mini-quilt show at the Women of Cloth retreat last weekend. On Saturday night, we put what we had brought to show on the dining room tables and voted on our favourites. I photographed a few of the ones I admired to share with you.

This New York Beauty by Wilma was stunning. I think it finished at queen size and it has 130 different batiks in it. In previous years, she's brought the blocks along to work on, but now it was completely finished. One of the skiers sharing the retreat space asked if it was for sale (a good eye, obviously, picking one of the best quilts there) but Wilma declined.
This tiny table square by Ann had little circles appliqued on the black -- I think the squares weren't more than 2 inches. A very fun way to use up batik scraps and perfect the hand applique skills at the same time. And I like anything with a black background.

Tina was working on her Grandmother's Flower Garden again this retreat -- the third one in a row at least, and she figures a few more years before it is completely handpieced and handquilted. Click on the photo for more details.
Karen brought her Cathedral Windows work in progress, and was collecting two inch squares from me and others to keep the charm pattern going. Karen (the same woman who helped me with my Words Fail Me quilt) and two other members of my guild are making Cathedral Windows. I admire them, but I'm not sure I could commit to a bed-sized project.

9 comments:

Joyce said...

What amazing quilts! The black one with circles would work well with the technique I've been using. Hmmm...my next one may have a lot of black in it. I love the white stitching around it too. I may just have to steal that idea too.

PrairiePeasant said...

Thanks for sharing Brenda! I hope you'll share more from the retreat in another post.

Anonymous said...

Lots of eye candy here! I'm drawn to the dots and also to the cathedral windows. Pretty!

Sharon said...

Thanks for sharing those beautiful, amazing quilts! I too love that black background with the white stitching around the dots. Very eye-catching! And the NY Beauty is awesome! Wow! You have some very talented ladies in your group!

Clare said...

The NY Beauty is gorgeous. I'd love to make one one day, but don't think I've got the patience. I've certainly got the batiks!

Browndirtcottage said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful parade of quilty goodness!

Myra said...

Awesome creations! Lovely stitch works! 8-)

Purple Pam said...

That New York Beauty is breathtaking! I agree with you about the Cathedral Window. I have made two small blocks, for a pincushion. I have made the pattern and decided that was the end of that! Too much work for me. I also admire anyone who can take the time and effort to make a large quilt with the Cathedral Window pattern.

Karen said...

Beautiful quilts.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>