Wednesday 17 September 2008

Home for lost and lonely needlework

Another lost and lonely piece of needlework followed me home this weekend. For 25 cents, I found this framed cross stitch piece at a yard sale. The mat has water damage, and when I pulled it off, I can see stains on the Aida cloth itself. I'll have to pull it out of the frame to wash it. Any suggestions on the best technique?
I'm a sucker for these because of all the work involved. Usually, I buy vintage embroidery or crocheted doilies, but I thought this was worth a quarter. Unless, of course, it is a big deal to clean it.
This little pocket on a string went to Taiwan yesterday along with a friend, who is visiting a mutual friend there. I string-pieced blacks and whites, and lined it. It even has a small interior pocket.

5 comments:

Donna said...

great little "pocket on a string" -- I own a couple but have never tried to make one. For the few times I use a purse just the ticket :-)

Joyce said...

The pocket on a string is cute. I have heard that soaking in Oxyclean will get out almost any stain. I guess at 25 cents you don't have much to lose.

Sharon said...

I'd try the soak in Oxyclean first. A gentle handwashing with a very mild soap might work. Just swish it around in the water, then lay flat on a towel to dry. I've had some stitcheries I've had to wash, and that seemed to work pretty well. You'll need to press afterward. Lay wrong side up on a towel and gently press. Should be good as new! Good luck!

Needleworker said...

If the stains won't come out you could always tea dye it and then the stains won't be so noticable.

PrairiePeasant said...

I was going to suggest dying it with tea as well, for a more aged look.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>