Wednesday 13 August 2008

Sewing a machine

I've been thinking about Tonya and Bonnie's fungy challenge for this summer, but I couldn't quite make myself spend hours with uglies, so I tried something else instead.

I saw a paper-pieced sewing machine in a book Joyce posted about. I'm not good at paper-piecing (sewing on lines from the wrong side just seems --well wrong to me) so I decided to free piece one instead. Instead of a plain background, I pieced together some of those leftover two inch squares from Mom's stash, and had a little fun. Unfortunately, no one at my house could recognize this as a sewing machine without a little prompting. Maybe they haven't ever seen those old black Singers. And the spool of thread is hard to see.


So I cut into a yellow fat quarter I got for my birthday and this one looks like a sewing machine. I make it much the same size as the other one, so they could go together if I choose. Somehow, it's just too tame -- almost as symetrical and precise as (gasp!) paper piecing. I like the patchwork quilt though, and I made it a bit wider than the one above.

These blocks finish at 10 inches. I've put a border on the first one. I think I'll keep the chaotic one to represent my sewing room, and finish the yellow one as a gift for someone else's, with some words around as borders.

6 comments:

Donna said...

the quilts being sewn are a nice touch :-)

Elaine Adair said...

So cute - yes, the little quilted item is a lovely touch. I agree, words around the block would be perfect!

Joyce said...

I think they turned out pretty good. The book actually uses regular piecing, not paper piecing. I haven't had a chance to really look at the patterns yet but she seems to use mostly squares and triangles.

Tonya Ricucci said...

so much more fun to free-piece anyway. I LOVE the first one you made and I definitely knew it was a sewing machine. You know you can do a fungly concentrating on the FUN part of it. Did you see the lobster fabric made it into Bonnie's?

Clare said...

I agree - much more fun to free piece than paper piece. I love the way you've "draped" fabric under the needle.

Sharon said...

I love the free-pieced machine - so much more interesting than the other one. And the "quilt" under the needle is a great touch! That could be the start of a great quilt or wallhanging. With the words around the border!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>