Thursday 14 August 2008

Fun, and ugly!

Turns out I have more uglies than I might care to admit, most courtesy of Mom's stash. So I decided to join Tonya and Bonnie's Fungly Challenge after all. But I don't really like sewing half square triangles, so I went for something easy and really fun, using 3 1/2 inch strips and squares. What's fun about this is how quickly they sew up, especially since I've spent most of the winter sewing together those two inch squares, or 3/4 inch strips to make letters.
Fungly enough for you? I'm realizing I need some more busy little prints to contrast with all the big ones. But a good way to use up the paper doll fabric and the robots and the farm/garden print and yes, the lipsticks. Some of these I used for making pillowcases for Christmas, othese were inherited.
And to prove that chaos reigns in my sewing area, I'm showing you a fairly tightly cropped picture of my sewing area. I can't quite bring myself to show you the whole area, but I do clean up occasionally, between projects.
I sew on a 40-year-old Elna SP, similar to my mother's Supermatic, which she bought new in 1968 and the machine I learned to sew on. This one is heavy -- 25 lbs. and will sew through almost anything. But I can't drop the feed dogs, so I haven't mastered free motion quilting yet.

3 comments:

Joyce said...

It's fungly for sure although those fabrics aren't really ugly to me. I think it's hard to beat the old sewing machines for being tough and heavy is good. No migrating around the table. I do like some features on new ones like needle up or needle down, and the integrated walking foot on my Pfaff.

Donna said...

my machine doesn't drop feed dogs either. To free motion quilt I set the stitch length as short as it'll go and just go for it... Not the "right" way, but it works for me :-)

Your fungly blocks are great -- the framing of the centre piece is a wonderfully fun way of highlighting some of the novelties :-)

woolywoman said...

I love my old Elnas. I have a little metal plate that clicks over the dogs for free motion quilting. I like that block pattern- I had forgotten about it, and now I'm inspired for a new project.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>