Thursday 6 March 2008

Quilting the river

This is a river quilt that my son's grade 4, 5 and 6 class are making with my help. I've been quilting with some of these kids since they were in grade 1, so they're getting quite good. Not one complains about having to sew, although they do need gentle reminders to keep their stitches smaller. Many toe catchers here, but since this is a wall quilt, it won't matter too much.

We string pieced by hand on 10-inch square foundations of warm and natural batting. Each child had a strip of two-inch blue water fabric they had to place somewhere in the quilt, and then they pieced other fabrics representing the shoreline, plants, grass, rocks, and sky around it. The biggest challenge was putting it together so the river flowed from square to square. I've posted a 3 by 9 (more or less) version of the quilt, but in the end my young quilt artists decided on a a square version of 5 by 5 squares. Right now I'm in the process of sewing it together and backing it, then I'll take it back to school and we'll tie it with cotton yarn.
I've had fun quilting with these children as my sons travelled through their elementary school years. I think this is the sixth quilt I've made with students, and I've learned much more than they have. The biggest lesson all quilters could learn from my junior quilters: don't be afraid. These children try new techniques fearlessly, put together fabric combinations without that inner critic, and don't believe for a moment they can't make a quilt.

Here is our quilt from last year, with about 18 of the same students that I have this year. You'll have to click on the photo to enlarge it, since I didn't get a very close shot. I taught them how to handquilt, and they were fearless about using contrasting thread that showed up their stitches. Some have biggish stitches, but others are as good as adults. I quilted the three squares with the words and dates, and a couple of parents made some of the stars, but all the rest are by students. Aren't they great! I hung it in a local show, and they were thrilled their work was on display.

Once the river quilt is finished, it is going in a couple of shows as well to inspire young quilters, and the older ones who might be mentoring them.

4 comments:

Donna said...

what a wonderful project to do year after year... I wonder what the kids will remember as adults about this time? ;-)

Christina said...

This is a really lovely quilt! I had never thought of piecing right onto batting, neat idea but I don't understand how it all goes together. I am happy for the world that you and these students get to quilt together.

Tonya Ricucci said...

what a great project. Boy, I'd like to be that free while I'm working - definitely a goal.

Brenda said...

Re how it is put together (and it's not in the picture):It is sewn together by machine right sides together, right through the backing, so there will be slight ridges along the seam lines. then I'll line it edge to edge like a pillowcase, slip stitch the opening, and the children will tie it in every square to keep the layers together. I'm not worrying about the ridges since it is a wall quilt and hangs high -- the school has 15 foot high walls, and we usually hang these above lockers and doorways, out of the reach of grubby hands. The school already has about a dozen or so quilts hanging in the halls. You should all come for a tour!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>