Friday 29 February 2008

it's only words

I've been collecting fabrics with words for several years. Since I'm a writer who quilts, I've always though this was a great convergence for me.
But then there's the problem of what to do with it. Some of it is busy, other stuff is muted, and I didn't have a real plan until I found Tonya's free pieced letters a few months back, and the light bulb went on. So yesterday, after months of practicing letters on other projects, I finally started cutting up darks and lights to make some letters.
Does it bother anyone that the words go up and down and across? That's the problem of cross-cut strips used vertically. I'm thinking I'm going to have too much waste if I cut both ways.
Here's the first two words of what promises to be a quilt of many words. The theme is "Words ( insert verb) me." "Fail" is just one of the verbs I'll be using. These are quite big letters -- four inches tall, and I'm planning to make most of them in the 2 to 3 inch range, mainly in lower case.

9 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

neat. I have a few prints with wonds on them too... I like to see neat things (images or words) in my quilts.

Jeanne said...

How clever! Such a great idea for use of the word fabrics. I can't wait to see this finished.

Purple Pam said...

I think the words work upside down, sideways, or straight up. It is fun to see quilts with word fabrics. I try to figure out what they say from the scraps of fabric that I can see. What fun your quilt will be to make. Can't wait to see the end result.

Greenmare said...

Wow, I love this!!! What a neat idea. If you need/want another piece of word fabric I have some cool stuff too, drop me an email.

Carol E. said...

What a great idea! I LOVE it! The words don't want to go in one direction. They want to go all over. It adds to the theme and fun of it all. Can't wait to see what more you make!

Christina said...

Brilliant idea! I agree, the words cannot be constrained to all go in an orderly direction...

jenclair said...

I love this idea!

Magpie Sue said...

I'm here from Tonya's blog. What a great idea! Wish I'd had the presence of mind to think of it! Guess it's not too late though ;- )

Tonya Ricucci said...

I swear I left a comment over here... I love this quilt. Love the fabrics and the plan. Great, great, great.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>