Friday 3 November 2017

Starry eyed finish for Friday

All Starry Eyed
19.5 by 17 inches
Machine pieced and quilted
Made entirely from other people's scraps.

This little quilt got its start from the scrap bag at a retreat I attended last month.
I'm not embarrassed to say I dug out these fun Allison Glass prints  and bright solids
from the common scrap bag that someone was going to make into a dog pillow.

I had several projects with me, all cut and ready to sew
but would you be surprised to hear that I had way more fun
playing with these elongated triangles in bright colours?
Mostly because I didn't know what they were going to be.
I just kept sewing them together as they fit.

When I got home, I found the same purple Allison Glass print in my cupboard,
so I added the corner squares,
free motioned the background to make the star points pop,
and then bound it in that orange dot print given to me by another friend.

Since it is a smallish quilt, I used corner triangles for a hanging sleeve.
The new owner is trading me a hand braided rug
for this quilt which she plans to hang in her office and brighten her day.

I have a cupboard full of fabric, so what does it say 
when I like playing with other people's scraps
more than the fabric I pick out for myself?

That's the reason my blog is still called Scraps and Strings.

I'm linking up with other Friday finishers here and here and here.

9 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

I’ve been known to go through dog beds looking at what others throw away. Amazing that I find a lot of useful fabrics. Your finish is beautiful.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

I love how bright and fun this is! Isn't it great when scraps become masterpieces!

Carli The Quilter said...

Excellent fun playing with other quilters scraps.

grammajudyb said...

I am a scrap bag diver too! I get teased a bit, but that's ok.....I end up with more variety than I had and a whole lot of fun!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sounds like a great trade! I, too, love playing with fabric scraps from others.

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh, you are just w-a-y too creative girl! I just want to keep looking at it! Didn't it make you feel good to do this instead of your intended projects?

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That turned out so beautifully. This is why I have such trouble throwing away even the smallest scraps. It is good to just have fun and let yourself play with scraps instead of having to follow the "rules".

Louise said...

What a super fun little improv piece! Anything with purple and orange is a win in my book :)

patty a. said...

That little quilt turned out gorgeous! Someone else's trash was your treasure! Tuesday I am going to post about going deep to find pink fabrics and talk about the scraps you will see!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>