Friday 29 September 2017

Some near finishes here this Friday

I've had a productive few weeks over here,
mostly motivated by two babies who need their quilts
and a weekend retreat.
I spent last weekend with three UFOs and made good progress with them,
but I had the most fun with playing with these bright scraps from another retreater.

I'm not embarrassed to tell you I dug around in the common scrap bag
and found these beauties which will turn into some sort of mini quilt.
I used the shapes as I found them, having fun improvising.


Last week I also finished this I Spy quilt using 6.5 inch cut squares.
I added the piano key border from the bits too small for squares,
getting the quilt to about 42.5 by 57 inches.
That short last the newborn for a couple of years.

Here's a view of the back -- a fishbowl print I'd been saving for the right moment.
This stuff is 54 inches wide and I have enough for another toddler quilt.

After worrying about the quilting designs for too long,
I decided to go for wide matchstick quilting, 
or just plain straight line walking foot quilting.
I eyeballed the lines and kept them to a minimum because I want the quilt to be soft and cuddly.

I used about eight thread colours in 28 weight Aurifil
to both contrast and match with all the flying geese.

It measures 42 inches square and is bound with a dark grey Kona solid.
I just need to pull in a few threads and its ready for the baby across the street.

I'm linking up with other Friday finishers today at

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Everything looks so great! Love the quilting you chose for the flying geese, I just did that same wide matchstick (oh, does 1" apart even count as matchstick?) on an HST quilt. Done is good!

And I can't believe you used the fishbowls for a backing! That is apparently some very rare and pricey fabric for people who get all trendy about stuff like that. You're sitting on a [very small] gold mine.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congratulations on the progress. Those fishbowls are perfect for toddler quilts -- just wonderful.

Ann said...

Love all three. I Spy are always a good choice for babies. Something for them to cuddle AND learn with. The flying geese is my favorite. I need to make a solid quilt and always like matchstick quilting. It looks so good and it's easy. Good idea to use different thread colors. It is fun what we can make from scraps. I compulsively use all my scraps - and sometimes wish I'd just throw them away.Ha.

Sandy Panagos said...

I really love the improv quilt. You did have fun with that one! The baby quilts are perfect. I try to make colorful quilts for little ones, too.

Barb said...

great finishes! that fishbowl fabric is so cute! Wonderful flying geese quilt in those solids.

patty a. said...

Both of the baby quilts turned out great! Those are some fantastic scraps you dug out!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>