Friday 27 November 2015

Black and white and read all over

Black and white and read all over
44 by 44 inches
Machine and hand quilted

I'm finally releasing this quilt to the universe
since I'm passing on this quilt to its new owner
who was born a month ago.


He's the third child of a my photo journalist colleague,
so I decided to make an I Spy quilt with some newspaper and text images.
I'm hoping baby's older brother and sister will have fun
"reading" this quilt to him.

I've included a telephone, some newspaper prints,
lots of word fabrics,
and some camera prints,
as well as anything else in the black and neutral colour scheme I had on hand.



Here's a film print, referring back to the days 
when photographers used film instead of digital.

I used black and white prints on the back,
including a significant chunk of that camera print.

I machine quilted on both sides of the blocks,
and hand quilted around a motif or design in each block.

Here's a straight on shot of the top before it was quilted.

The baby's first and last initials are A. A.,
so I included those in the piano key boarder.

I'm linking up with other Friday finishers at
and TGIFF

9 comments:

Lisa J. said...

This is a great little quilt for a baby. So much to look at. It's wonderful that the babies initials are in the quilt as well.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm sure the parents will love the quilt with all of its connections to their lives and maybe the little guy will grow up with a camera in his hand too.

Jan Briggs said...

I love your fabric choices. Text prints are so fun to use. I had quite a bit of the cross word puzzle fabric that you've used. It's fun to add to projects like this because if the little circled 'family' words (among others).

Mary said...

What a wonderful and well thought out gift. I bet they'll love it!

carol fun said...

What a clever quilt... so much to take in...bravo!

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh that's so sweet! I love the idea of using newsprint fabric and the word search quilting is so much fun!

Quiltdivajulie said...

This quilt is absolutely wonderful! Love the mix of fabrics and the thought process behind the choices. Well done!

patty a. said...

Such a fun quilt! Your fabric choices are spot on!

Margaret Cooter said...

Super - what fun for the siblings too!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>