Wednesday 28 October 2015

Each one teach one, part 2

I'm more than half-way through teaching a five-week learn to sew class.
Here's what I've learned so far:
Learning to operate machinery as an adult is harder than you realize
when you've been sewing all your life.
And adult learners are good sports, 
even when the sewing machines jam up
and the teacher needs a little instruction herself.


I'm teaching in a space with about 10 different donated machines.
We've had problems with all of them,
whether they were expensive computerized Janomes
or basic plastic Singers.
Last week I brought my all metal Elna SP (above)
because I can thread that one in my sleep.
I've also brought in my Singer 301a
and next week I may just bring in a Featherweight or two.

But we've persevered, and after a quick lesson on rotary cutting last week,
everyone was able to cut out fabric for a tote bag last night.
We're using a variety of upholstery samples
and some IKEA twill yardage.

I'm teaching bag and pillow making methods
rather than specific patterns,
so everyone figured out the size of bag that would work best.

Yesterday was all about flat construction --
we put on the handles and finished edges before sewing the side seams,
and then squared off the corners.

My question to you is one the students are asking:
What's a good starter machine?
I've been promoting vintage,
but those of you who have newer Pfaffs and Janomes and Berninas,
tell me what's a good new machine to buy?

I've been telling the students a sewing machine can be a lifetime investment,
since my mother is still sewing on her 1968 Elna Supermatic
and lots of us are loving our Featherweights and other all-metal vintage machines.

I'm linking up to The Needle and Thread Network 





7 comments:

Wendy said...

I sew on a Bernina, but I recently bought this machine for my daughter (9 years old) to learn to sew on: http://www.amazon.com/Janome-Magnolia-7318-Sewing-Machine/dp/B001I1D1VA/ref=sr_1_5?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1446081589&sr=1-5&keywords=janome+magnolia

(If the link doesn't come through, it's a Janome Magnolia. $249 on amazon)

I LOVE using her machine. It sews smoothly and is easy to thread. It has enough features to do about whatever she could want. I did a lot of research and wasn't crazy about ordering a machine online, but it's wonderful and we are thrilled with it.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The inexpensive Babylocks are good machines and the company really stands behind their product....which is really important. Even if they are reluctant to go to a sewing machine store to buy a machine, they have the dealer who usually gives them a year warranty for anything that goes wrong that first year (and lessons). If they buy off a shelf at a big box store and have trouble they will have to pay for a repair or return it and not have a machine.

Nancy said...

I hear good things about the basic Janome machines in terms of even stitches, easy threading. But I'm with you- the old vintage ones are pretty reliable. I know someone who repairs and collects old machines and recommends the old Singer 301 model.

beth s said...

Ooh! Love all those pretty bags. ;) Basic Janome machine is good as well as the old featherweights or other older singers. I began sewing with a singer 503a and it is a great machine too!

Audrey said...

Through an Adult Education grant our Child and Family Resource Centre purchased 10 Janome 625 Sewists for our sewing circle. Over the last 5 years the machines have been used regularly by a wide variety of sewers with a wide variety skills. I have also used them with Grade 7 and 8 students who were all non sewers. These machines have some of the desired features such as needle down/up and speed control but are not computerized. We have had no difficulty with them other than jamming caused by improper threading.Previously we had a range of machines and I spent more time trouble shooting than assisting the participants. Many of our regular participants have purchased the same machines for home and there have been no difficulties with them either. Many purchased the 625 to replace box store "gems" that were always causing them issues and did not have the same stitch quality. Since we are 8 and a half hours north of Winnipeg servicing isn't a quick run into a sewing machine service.

Laurel's Stitches said...

Loved hearing about how your classes are moving along, Brenda. I also loved the photos! It is great that they are learning skills that they can keep with them for the rest of time.

The bags are gorgeous.

Thanks for posting to TN&TN's WIP Wednesday.

KittyAnn said...

I purchased a little Brother machine a couple of years ago to take to classes as I didn't want to lug my big Pfaff or Bernina out of the house. I highly recommend this particular Brother model because it has certain features a lot of lower cost machines do not have, such as *needle down* and a multi position needle - which I think are nice to have. I purchased mine from Costco but Amazon has it, do a search on: Brother HC1850 - less than $200 and with many feet too. For a beginning sewist who perhaps might not want to spend several hundred or thousands to begin with, this machine would serve them well. I have taught adult ed beginners sewing in the past, loved every minute! My mantra to my students was: If you learn to operate your machine per the manual, use the correct thread and needle for the fabric you are sewing on, and take your time to read your pattern thoroughly - you will have a great sewing experience!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>