Tuesday 7 April 2015

Quilting is finished!

I finished the free motion quilting on my mom's quilt this weekend.
It measures 60 by 80 and includes hand dyed fabrics and batiks.

I used  10 colours of 28 wt. Aurifil thread
and at least six bobbins of 50 wt. thread.

There's lots of variety in the designs
and some repeats.


I feel more confident with free motion quilting a large quilt now.

Good thing, because when I handed it off to her,
she had a similar one ready to quilt!

That second one is college-bound with my niece next fall,
so I had her pick her favourite motifs from the first one.

Notice the difference lighting makes in seeing the texture.
The above picture is lit by fluorescent lights in my mom's quilting room.
The others are taken beside a window
and they show the texture and shadow.



I'm linking up with The Needle and Thread Network.


10 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a fun quilt and a great way to practice free motion!

Will Cook for Shoes said...

Beautiful quilting, Brenda!

FYI - Side lighting (i.e. the window source) will always show off all your beautiful FMQ work the best. Lighting than just comes straight on to your work (ceiling light or harsh noon sunlight) will make work look flat.

em's scrapbag said...

What a fabulous quilt. Love all the quilting motifs you used. It has inspired me to try new things. Thanks!

Quiltdivajulie said...

60 x 80 on a DSM .... Wow! Good for you!!!!!!!

In stitches and seams said...

lots of fun stitching going on here I see. and what a great way to keep in practice with all those different blocks
institchesandseam@hotmail.ca

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Very nice quilting

Christina said...

Beautiful! Love seeing all the different designs you used.

Angela said...

So bright and cheerful!

Sharon said...

Your quilting looks great! You have steadily improved over the last few years. Just goes to show what practice can do for a person! (note to self: practice!) I love seeing all those beautiful hand-dyed fabrics!

Scrappy quilter said...

Wonderful quilting on a beautiful quilt.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>