Thursday 5 September 2013

Decades-old finish!

Last year my friend Y. gave me this vintage quilt top found in a thrift shop.
The top measures about 39 by 48 inches.

It's machine pieced in a modified log cabin pattern,
with lots of fabrics from the 1960s, and even older.
You can see from this photo that it is wonky in places,
and not entirely squared off.
 
Last night I took the plunge,
trimmed the edges,
and lined the top with unbleached muslin
(also from the thrift shop, for the record)
and backed it with a piece of left over microfleece
 

 
Then I embraced the quilt's wonkiness,
and quilted in the middle of that sashing fabric with a variegated grey thread.
This created another grid in the quilt,
established in a little order in that wonkiness,
and put my own 2013 stamp on a very vintage quilt.
 

 I bound the quilt with a DS navy/blue/red/white floral print
and now it's done.
It's destined for a new baby coming this fall,
whose mother has grown up with thrift shop finds
and so I think she'll appreciate this quilt, which stretches back many decades.
I'm not an expert on dating fabrics,
but I like the huge variety in this quilt,
and the poverty piecing in some of the blocks,
including that salmon/black one in the middle.

Here's some more fun fabrics.
I like that geometric tan/brown/white/red print.

And I like that green and black print too.
These cats -- not so much.
I think that pink one with blue features looks deranged
and is strange enough to scare any baby.
But that floral print on the blue background is adorable.
 

Here's a shot of the back.

And the binding again

 
Thanks, Y., for sharing this top with me.
I had fun looking at the vintage fabrics,
and giving new life to a quilt waiting many decades for a finish.
 
I'm linking up with Sarah and Amanda.

13 comments:

Helen in the UK said...

How wonderful that this top was rescued and given a new life. Sounds like the recipient is the perfect person to love this :)

Tonya Ricucci said...

love this quilt - it's fabulous. and of course I love the deranged kitties too! great job!

Quiltdivajulie said...

How awesome that an abandoned flimsy was rescued and ended up with someone who "gets it" -- kudos to you for seeing its potential and giving it new life! Love all those fabrics together . . .

Dominique said...

I love how you were able to give life to this old quilt top. It turned out wonderfully and I am sure your friend will appreciate the beauty of it. Well done!

Nifty Quilts said...

What a wonderful rescue! Seeing those fabrics makes my heart sing. Great idea to line it with muslin. I'd never heard the term, "poverty piecing." Love it!

Sewgreen said...

that is a lovely quilt! I love what you did to it!!!

Elaine M said...

Love what you did, very inviting and full of comfort, even with the scary kitties.

junacreationsuk.blogspot.co.uk said...

What a great find and what a great friend for rescuing it. It looks fantastic finished.

Sharon said...

Good job! What fun to see all those old fabrics, including those weird/scary kitties! I love those old scrap quilts and never tire of looking at them.

Sounds like you've got the perfect recipient to receive this quilt and appreciate it for what it is. That makes me smile.

Adventurous Quilter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adventurous Quilter said...

I love thrift shop finds! This looks wonderful :)

roccagal said...

wonderful quilt-so glad it will be loved!

Heidi said...

what a thoughtful gift !
And there are sure fun fabrics in it :-)

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>