Wednesday 17 July 2013

My quilt is bleeding!

This quilt is bleeding red and blue.

I made it for friends nearly a decade ago,
and I thought I had pre-washed all the fabrics.

But check out that mottled beige--
it has red and blue splotches on it,
even after I scrubbed it.
I think those spots are there to stay,
unless someone else has another idea.

Here's the whole thing --  trip around the world
made in that strip-pieced, loopy, unpicking method.
Note the calico and floral prints.
I recall getting most of the fabrics from my mother,
but buying the red border fabric and the bright blue.
Most likely I didn't pre-wash those. oops!

Back then, I hand quilted it in spirals,
but a couple of washings showed that it needed a bit more quilting,
so I quilted in the ditch on both sides of that inner border.




4 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Prewashing doesn't stop bleeding. In most cases it is 2 wet fabrics touching each other for a length of time and migrating dye. I have only experienced this when I didn't get it into the dryer right away after it came out of the washing machine. A friend had this happen on a quilt she had washed many times too. With city water the amount of chlorine is not always stable and that has been blamed for some dyes migrating. Some people sew color catchers right over the offending area and rewash.

fabriquefantastique said...

interesting comment above....not sure if we have 'color catchers here in Ontario. Can you recommend one

Quiltdivajulie said...

Tonya has does the SHOUT brand color catcher sewn over a bleed and it worked for her. I've not tried it, but it's worth a go just in case.

Lori said...

I have had success with multiple quilts, by washing them with Synthrapol. Follow the mfg instructions. With some quilts, I had to repeat the Synthrapol washing. All of the affected and fixed quilts were washed and dried before I saw the issue. I thought there was no hope but Synthrapol fixed it. I agree with Wanda ... I was prewashing everything in those days and still had issues, esp if I left things touching in the washer.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>