Friday 17 February 2012

Advice from home -- finished!

Advice from home, 56 by 60
free-pieced letters and houses, machine quilted
click to enlarge

This week I officially finished this long in process quilt: Advice from Home.
It features words I say over and over to my sons,
and houses with words--and advice--on them.
Some of the words are gibberish, since I'm convinced
my sons just hear "blah, blah, blah"
when I remind them to make their beds
or brush their teeth.

Here's the back.
I finished the label too many years ago!
I didn't know how to quilt this.
I didn't want to hand quilt it
and I did rent time on the longarm at a local quilt shop.
They didn't take time to show me how to use it properly
and when I was half done, the thread tension on the back was so terrible
I took the quilt off the long arm and picked out all the stitching.

Finally, last summer I quilted it on my new Juki.

Here's the son who officially no longer needs
advice from home,
since he turned 18 this week.
Originally I had hoped to get this to twin size,
but the quilt told me that a throw size was fine.

Two small finishes, measuring 14 by 15 inches 
Love 

and Joy, two sides of the same quilt
being used to hang from the lecturn
at a nursing home where my friend is a chaplain.

I'm linking up with AmandaJean's Finish it up Fridays.

15 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

you are so creative! I love it!

glen

Taos Sunflower said...

Brenda: I love you sending off all that great advice to your son in a quilt. Words to live by, for sure. I also love your observation about him not needing advice now that he's 18...that cracked me up. My son, who is soon to be 38, is now eating his words from those years and it's fun to see things come full circle. Sweet.

Cathy Tomm said...

What a great finish. It is a fun quilt with all the words us mother say every day.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Your son is so cute...love that devilish grin as he holds his quilt and realizes.."no, he doesn't need advice from home" HA! We're always mothers and they're always our kids!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love it!! That is a great quilt, and will be cherished!!

Nifty Quilts said...

This is wonderful! So creative. A real piece of art for your son. I'm sure he'll cherish it always. A throw size is good. He'll see it more often, hopefully on his couch, rather than tucked away in his bedroom.

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

How wonderful, Brenda! I laughed at the blah blah reference, you would think we lived in the same house;)

Magpie Sue said...

How wonderful that you've finally got this finished! I remember when you were still making the house and advice blocks. ;- ) Too bad about the long arm quilting - wish that had gone better for you. But it's *done* now and looks great.

antique quilter said...

Congrats for finishing. This quilt just makes me smile. Ah those words I say them all the time too! Guess its a mom thing

Lori said...

What a sweet memory quilt!! Ah good, so it wasn't just my kids that hear Blah, blah, blah. I got a good laugh out of that!!

YankeeQuilter said...

Great quilt! I think we can all hear ourselves making those comments...

Barb said...

Totally awesome!!!

Janet said...

What a wonderful quilt! I love the bright colors and your choice of words--so creative. I really need to get my book out and try to make some words. lol

Tonya Ricucci said...

woohoo, turned out soooo wonderful. bleck on the longarm issues and all that stitch ripping. so worth it for the wonderful quilt tho!

Sharon said...

I meant to comment on this awhile ago, but I still want to tell you how much I love this quilt! Your words are so true - I said them all the time when my kids were home. What a great idea for a quilt! So creative. And your houses are so fun too. I'm sure your son will love this . . . he looks so proud in the picture. Great job!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>