Monday 28 November 2011

A baby quilt with a chicken and egg problem

I'm working on a fun chicken and egg baby quilt
to celebrate the birth of a new baby on my street
and as part of Year of the baby quilt in my guild.
So yesterday during the big football game
I appliqued these chickens in funky, non-chicken colours.
They still need some eyes and legs, but I was planning
to quilt those in with dark thread.
These birds will go in a quilt made from this Robert Kaufmann Mona Luna fabric
that's been sitting in my stash for a year or more.

I don't want to cut up the print too much,
so I'm inserting a band with the appliqued chickens

Here it is on top

And here it is on the bottom.

Which do you like better?
The good news is that I have enough fabric to make it both ways
if I applique a few more birds on another band.
I could also insert narrow strips of green on either side of the white
since nothing is sewn together.

What's a good size for a baby quilt?
 Right now, this is sort of squarish rectangular
at 42 inches by 46 or so.
I've thought of cutting it a bit narrower to 36 or 38.

9 comments:

Cindy said...

That is just so cute! I like the band near the bottom. To me it's more visually appealing. I've made baby quilts about the size you already have it so I wouldn't necessarily cut it down. If the white space bothers you, maybe a few eggs place there would work.

Michael said...

I like to make quilts closer to 60 inches long by 45 or so. That way they can be a toddler quilt as well as for a baby.

Sujata Shah said...

Oh how cute! I just made mine small enough to cover the baby in the car seat and in the stroller. Love the fabric you chose!

Barb said...

Oh...there are fabric that I just don't want to cut up either, this is just sooo cute!!

antique quilter said...

great fabric I love your applique band! I like it on the bottom better. I would make it bigger , they can always fold it in 1/2 to use it in the stroller or car seat.
A bigger size will allow longer use in mho.
very cute!!!
Kathie

Millie said...

I like it better lower down.

Judy in Michigan said...

Near the bottom (seems unanimous). Sometimes baby quilts are made around 40" wide so that you don't need to piece the backing. Also, some quilters buy panels for the back so you have a reversible quilt. Just an idea. Love your chickens!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I make my baby quilts 48x60 (ish) because babies are only little for such a very short time ...

I like the band lower, too.

Theodora quilts said...

that is very clever of you.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>