Friday 12 August 2011

He-elp!!!!



The top is done

the back is pieced

it's quilted

and bound
and.totally done....but .....

....and it's a BIG BUT.....


....this block needs to come out.

I have two t-shirt quilt commissions, and I mixed up the shirts. That black one in the corner belongs in the other quilt, and now it has to come out.

Yep, it's completely finished. I was ready to give it to the owner when I found out.
the question is: what's the best way to fix it?
I have another shirt for that spot.  I don't want to unpick the whole quilt, so here's one idea so far:
taking out the quilting stitches in the black block, and cutting through the top layer with scissors 1/2 inch away from the sashing, and then appliquing the other block to the quilt, so it covers the black. I would handstitch it invisibly to the borders, and then re-stitch the quilting lines. And then I would put the cut-out black block in the right quilt.

I've already learned from this mistake, and next time (if there is one) I will insist every t-shirt be clearly labelled. I did give the owner a picture of the completed top before I quilted it, but she didn't see the mistake until after it was too late.

(and yes, next time, I will put in a clause in the agreement
that no changes can be made after visual approval.)

The good news is the owner loves the quilt, except for that one block.
Today, that's not quite enough good news....but maybe with your help, it will work out.
Thanks!


10 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I cannot imagine ... oh, actually, yes I can ...

I like the sounds of your plan. Without unpicking the quilting and the seams, I'm not sure what I'd do.

Good luck!

Michele said...

Oh pooh! If you do decide to unpick things, at least you placed that block perfectly. A corner wouldn't be too bad. I bet you your applique idea would work too. It sure is a cute quilt.

Barb said...

Wow, it is a very nice quilt and to have to unpick, if you are unpicking, why not unpick enough to take out the whole block and then maybe you can atleast sew two sides on and then turn under the seam allowance for the other two seams....what you plan to do will work too...alot of work.

Carrie said...

I can only imagine your frustration right now! If you cut out the black block 1/2" from the sashing, will it be big enough to put into the other quilt? Or will it be an inch too small in both directions?
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a dilemma! I think that once you get that block removed, you will see your way clear to replace it with the correct one. Otherwise, it sure is a lovely quilt!

Becky said...

I managed to turn one block wrong on the guild's opportunity quilt, and no one caught it until I did taking the final pictures! I took a picture of the quilting (I didn't quilt it) as well as putting transparent vinyl over it and tracing it. Then I carefully removed the stitching, quilting and seams, then hand stitched the block back in, using magnifiers. I then matched the thread and quilted it on my DSM to match the rest. I took a really deep breath afterwords, as it worked! The magnifier was a big help, as I actually managed to "applique" it in the same stitch holes. It didn't work for the quilting as they were in the wrong places. I gently rubbed my fingernail over the holes from the previous quilting, and they weren't noticeable. I've never told anyone about it until now - no one ever noticed it.

Finn said...

The quilt you show is really pretty and a total success except for the minor boo-boo. When humans are involved, things happen. On a positive note I think your solution sounds ideal, as long as the cut smaller block still works in the other quilt. It seems reasonable and eficient, I'd say, "go for it". So sorry it happened to you, but lesson learned. Hugs, Finn

Susan said...

And this is the reason why I don't quilt for other people! I just know that I would be running into problems like this all the time and it would be more trouble than it's worth.

I really don't have a suggestion for you, but just wanted to offer you a wish for good luck!

Anonymous said...

I would cut it out and since it will be too small for the other quilt I would sew on strips to make it the right size again.

Then for the "hole" in your first quilt I would zig zag or satin stitch on the correct block and pick out the quilting on just that spot and redo it.

And THEN I would eat chocolate..a lot of it.

Roma said...

I would not be a happy camper having the back of my quilt cut out and appliqued over.
if you scroll up and read what Becky said this is exactally how this should be done.
you did so much work on the top , so don't sell you work short by taking the easy way out. Word of mouth is the one thing you have no control over and one bad response from a customer could break you real quick.
Once you get started it will not be that hard..

This is just my opinion and I am the seam ripping queen.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>