Monday 21 March 2011

Posies are finished!

Not quite a year after we started, we finished the quilt! It features a simple posy or ditsy flower in hand-dyed fabrics hand appliqued on black backgrounds. This was a joint project with my mother, Blogless Meg, inspired by a 1930s quilt kit found on ebay and featured on Barbara Brackman's blog.

Here's a couple of views where you can see the border.


A close-up of the centre medallion. Note the differences in background fabric, leaves, stems, and placement of the flowers. We went with an organic approach.

It is machine quilted with spirals and outline quilting by Katie Friesen, a quilter from Winkler, Manitoba, who also designs applique patterns.

The only fabric we purchased for this quilt is the binding. It's an Alexander Henry print called Everglades.

We used some of the same print on the back too.

This quilt still needs a name. We are planning to donate it to my sons' school as a fundraiser. More details on that later.

13 comments:

connie said...

This is a spectacular quilt. Someone will be very fortunate to win it. I love the binding fabric with the hand dyed fabrics...

Tonya Ricucci said...

beautiful quilt. hope it raises lots of money!!!

Barb said...

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH love it so much!

Vicki W said...

It's wonderful! I loved this quilt from the first posie.

Lee D said...

absolutely stunning. I have loved watching the progression of this quilt. It came together wonderfully.

Amy said...

Beautiful. I am sure it will get quite a penny.thank you for sharing,Amy

em's scrapbag said...

This is beautiful! Love the bright flowers on the black background.

Angie said...

Oh Brenda, it is absolutely GORgeous!!

Gari in AL said...

I enjoyed watching this quilt come together but with quilting it is much more than I imagined. What I can't imagine is giving it away.

Clare said...

It's so gorgeous! I wish it could come and live here.

Riel Nason said...

It is just beautiful ... and the fact you are donating it, WOW. I bet you raise a ton of cash. It really is so appealing.

Joyce said...

A stunning quilt. I love bright colors with a black background. I'll be sending you a B as soon as I get over jet lag. Hope I'm not too late.

ButtonMad said...

What a striking design. And how lovely to have worked on it with your mother.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>