Sunday 15 November 2009

Round and round the circle

Several months ago I started cutting into my hand dyes, making circles from some and 8.5 by 11 inch backgrounds of others. I wanted to practice my applique skills on small quilts, just the size for Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative, and perfect for taking along.

So far I've done six little quilts, and I photographed the tops before I basted them to the backing and batting.

I'm planning to put corner triangles on the backs to hang the quilts, and then they can hang vertically or horizontally. I'm having fun playing with the colours and I'm liking the applique. I gathered these around templates I cut with my circle cutter for paper, pressed them, popped out the template, and pressed again, and then appliqued them to the background. I'm going to hand quilt these minis free hand, so they'll be take along projects for the next while.

8 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Lovely, lovely -- they look good as a set.

Mary Johnson said...

I have been thinking of playing with circles too. I have a die for my GO cutter that has 3 different sizes. These all look great!

Joyce said...

These are just fantastic! Love the colors.

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Just found your blog...love it and love all the colors...Hugs, Mary
http://mary-myneedlethread.blogspot.com

Vals Quilting said...

this is such a great contemporary design and I love your fabrics.
Valerie
http://www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-quilting/

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Love your fabric; love the circles; love the quilts:-)

Sharon said...

Wow, your little quilts look so wonderful. And the hand-quilting will add so much. Looks like you've been having fun! I can't wait to see how they finish up!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

ooh! I see a whole quilt. Keep going these are lovely!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>