Monday 9 November 2009

I've been caught in the web!


I'm up to 21 scrappy spiderweb blocks, hoping for 36 to make a comforter cover measuring 82 by 84. Since these finish at slightly under 12 inches, that means I'll put a border around the blocks. As you can see, I'm using a variety of 1.5 inch red strips and three different neutrals for the foundation. These are fun because they are mindless but I'm amazed how many strings remain in my scrap box. When this is done, I'm going to enjoy lazing in bed under my newly-washed and re-ticked wool comforter and looking at the history of my quilt-making over the last five years with all these yummy (and some not so great) fabrics. I'm using Bonnie's method but sewing directly on the background, since this will not be quilted and the extra layer of fabric won't matter.


I was a winner at Jill at Quilt Rat's  postcard giveaway. She does beautiful machine quilting and she made the fabric for the exclamation mark by transferring her doodled design onto fabric with her printer, then colouring it with coloured pencils and fabric paints. Thanks so much for the inspiration and lovely postcard.

11 comments:

Myra said...

Great blocks B!!! Looking great! Will have to check out Bonnie's method...
Nice post card... 8-)
Happy stitchings!

Millie said...

Wow, the Spiderweb blocks turned out so nice with the red and different cream/tan backgrounds. I know, after you sewed so many strings it looks like the box of strings is still the same.

Quilter In Paradise said...

great spider blocks! I have one going ( not much progress - see me grinning? ) but it's going. I like yours better than the way I started mine...!
Thanks for sharing!
Beth in Dallas

Elaine Adair said...

Oh my, it's a doozey!!! I LOVE it, and your idea of different backgrounds was very clever. This also, is on my To Do. Congrats on a great quilt!

Vals Quilting said...

I love seeing the progress on your Spider Web quilt - I can't wait to see it finished. I'm so about scrappy and the way you choose the different neutrals for the background is perfect - nice job!
Valerie
http://www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-quilting/

jovaliquilts said...

Such a terrific quilt! There's so much to like about it -- love the way you use different reds and different backgrounds. I make string quilts with a muslin background for Project Linus and don't use any batting, just flannel on the back. It works great that way.

Rae Ann said...

My, your quilt is stunning! You have such a way with color!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a big success this quilt is

Leah said...

cool - it reminds me of a kaleidascope!! so colorful

Gayle Bong said...

Prettiest spiderweb quilt I have ever seen and I've seen a bunch.

Frog Quilter said...

What size squares did you start with before quartering them???

Thanks

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>