Thursday 25 September 2008

A day of gifts

This was a banner day for gifts. The green embroidered jacket to the right opens down the middle, just big enough to hold some jewelry (for traveling) or a spool and a thimble. My friend brought it from her recent travels to Taiwan.

My other gift was also clothing, but human-sized. This shalwar kameez was passed along by a woman, born in Pakistan, raised in Canada, who says she owns many and wanted to share them with her "sisters." I don't share the same faith as she does, but I do share an admiration for beautiful handwork on clothing, and I've always wanted one of these tunic and pants and scarf outfits. Today I got my wish, and its beautifully embellished with beads and gold threads. I hope to wear this, but I will hang it somewhere so I can admire it regularly. Thanks for these wonderful gifts.

5 comments:

Cher said...

I like your rays of hope quilt-let..I have joined in too, I really enjoy ethnic or unusual clothing-beautiful handwork can always be admired.

Joyce said...

The color and the emboidery are amazing on your outfit. I love ethnic clothes too, whether I wear them or not.

Sharon said...

What a treat! I love the embroidered clothes the Indian women wear. There were many who lived near me in California. And I think the outfit with the tunic and pants is very flattering for most everyone. The little "jacket" from Taiwan is so cute!

em's scrapbag said...

What unique and fun gifts. You lucky girl.

Tonya Ricucci said...

beautiful. I'd love to see how you decorate with the Shalwar Kameez when it's not actually on you. I agree with Sharon - they are so flattering - wish the trend would catch on in North America amongst everyone.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>