Friday 8 March 2019

Blue stars nearly finished

I collected a bunch of blue friendship stars from friends
for a group quilt project.
The parameters were that the stars had to be blue, the backgrounds neutral,
and they had to spin the same way, and finish at 9 inches


I dispersed the solid stars among the rest of them,
and then offset them by 3 inches to make them dance.
It all went together quickly, and I had enough blue scraps to make the piano key border.

One friend donated three metres of indigo fabric for the backing.
I had a few stars left, so I pieced together the backing,
but not without some serious calculations.
And I have just enough yardage left to cut the binding.

Here's the finished back.
It doesn't look nearly as complicated as it was.
I love little pieces and I don't mind making 500 seams in the front,
but I'm grumpy about more than one seam in the back.
It's not quite a finish, except that I finished both the top and the backing this week,
so I'm claiming it.


8 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I feel the same way about backs. Occasionally I'll do a more involved backing and it just reminds me all over again that one seam is too many!

Louise said...

It looks super, Brenda! The piano key border is such a great idea :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Progress is good!! Best of luck with the quilting.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Funny how some of us enjoy making pieced scrappy backs and others avoid it like the plague. Yours looks GREAT.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Lovely quilt. I love how you offset columns to make the stars dance. Great idea.

Marie said...

Lovely group effort for a lovely quilt. I had to smile when you said you don't mind sewing 500 seams in the front but get grumpy when there is more than one seam on the back. I know the feeling!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Both the back and the front of the quilt look great! A pieced back is a harder, but the efforts are worth it!

patty a. said...

You did a great job piecing that top together. It is going to be a very pretty quilt when it is done. When I get to the backing fabric I think I get in a hurry and just want to get the layers together and get to quilting. Having to do piecing slows me down! You did a nice job of incorporating the rest of the blocks in the backing.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>