Monday 29 September 2008

Hope and scraps

I've made another quilt for the Priority Hope Challenge.
I used some of my word fabric and a purple hand dye scrap from a previous project. Because these quilts are supposed to be 9 by 12 inches or smaller, I decided to be on the safe side and drew out the design on a piece of copy paper.

Meanwhile, my sewing room has undergone a 10-hour transformation. I spent much of my weekend sorting through scraps, refolding yardage, and cutting pieces according to Bonnie's Scrap User System. It was a bit of effort, but well worth it, and now my sewing room is so unnaturally tidy I'm scared to mess it up. But I had boxes of strings, strips and scraps before, and now they're sorted by size. It was cathartic to cut them into squares and bricks, and now I have the makings of several future projects (as if I need more). Plus I sorted out some scraps for the exchange Quilt Pixie is running and some for a future giveaway when I hit 100 posts in the next month. So watch for that.

In the top left, you can see my drawer of UFOs and flimsies. I'm making progress on Finn's New Year's Eve challenge, but there's still a way to go. And in case you're wondering, I used wooden drawers from my former kitchen cabinets for storage, along with assorted boxes, and plastic shoeboxes. I tried to find some more Rubbermaid ones, but had to buy another brand. Anyone know why?

8 comments:

Joyce said...

Wow! Neat and organized. I really need to do my scraps soon too.

Donna said...

feels good to orgainze all those bits and pieces doesn't it?... don't let it dampen that creativity though -- your priority quilt is too cute to not have other variations coming :-)

Tonya Ricucci said...

excellent job. thanks for making another one!

Clare said...

Very organised. Wish my sewign area looked like that!

Sharon said...

That's very clever to plan out the HOPE quilt on a piece of printer paper. I may have to steal that idea - hope you don't mind!
Doesn't it feel good to have some control over all the scraps etc. in the sewing studio? Mine is STILL a work in progress, and upkeep is the tough part! Yours looks good!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I spent most of the July 4 weekend re-organizing based on Bonnie's system (more like my own version loosely based on her system)... and I'm still enjoying the results. Hope you enjoy yours for a long time!

LOVE this latest HOPE quilt... like the spacing in the letter colorings A LOT!

Mary Johnson said...

I like this one too - especially how some areas of the letters are faded out or not connected.

When I started making postcards I had trouble with the scale so I'd use a piece of fusible web cut to 4x6 to *design* on. I never thought to use a sheet of paper for these small quilts - great idea!

jovaliquilts said...

Such a great Hope quilt! I love what you did with the letters, very neat to look at.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>