Saturday 27 September 2008

Wonky and liberated on a block exchange?


My guild (The Strip Piecers) has decided to do a mystery block exchange from now until spring. We've all placed one metre of a focus fabric in large boxes marked with our names and indicated details like on point or straight settings, whether we want backgrounds in cream or white (I chose black!). We have a month to make our 12.5 inch blocks. One woman said she was making the same block for every person. I've decided to let the fabrics speak to me, since they are very different. I bought a marble fabric with huge variations in pattern and colour. I figured I would make it more challenging.
This gold/mustard is my challenge for this month. Before I cut into it, I have a question I want to put to quilters in blogland:
I'm OK at precision piecing, but not wonderful, and now I'm wondering if I can go ahead with my original plan of making words in the blocks, or a liberated-style star if everyone else is going traditional. On the one hand, it is a sampler-anything goes sort of challenge, with restrictions only in size, but on the other hand, if I'm the only wonky one, how will it look for the folks who like more traditional? (And if you're a Strip Piecer, I'm not trying to spoil the surprise, since I'm just wondering out loud.)

Giveway: If you wander through your life with threads all over your clothes like I do, you might want to enter Myra's thread catcher giveway in honour of her 200th post. I figure I'm just a human thread catcher, or at least my fleece jacket looks like one. Maybe I should work harder at putting them all in one place. sigh.

8 comments:

Donna said...

hard to know what to do with the swap challenge.... I'd think part of the answer would be to think of each woman as an individual and consider if she'd appreciate wonky, would it encourage her to stretch her wings; is she a more precision peicer, interested in interesting colourways and setting... does the fabric lend itself to wild or more proper...

Fiber Babble said...

Did you mean to post a picture of the gold/mustard fabric you have this month?

I think that, at least during the beginning of your swapping, you could get away with wonky - mainly because what you do could help set the tone for other quilters that receive the box after you. If you're one of the last people to get someone's box, you might consider taking into account the "flavor" of the other blocks.

Even if no one else goes wonky after you, your block (being a bit :ahem: different) might end up as a center medallion... or specially pieced into the back of the quilt!

Of course, if you've had discussions with your co-quilters and you know for sure that 'Sally' despises wonky, then you wouldn't do it. Unless you think that Sally needs to lighten up and get over herself!

Myra said...

LOL! Oh T's comment got me laughing... too funny, but on point! I do agree with her...and Quilt Pixie, so I am of not further help with counsel.... 8-)
The thread catcher isn't so much that it "catches" your threads, but as a handy right beside you, beside your machine to toss threads and clippings into...so one may still have some threads hanging on them!!!
Thank you for commenting for my giveaway, and for the link on you blog. You have earned yourself 4 chances to win!!!
Good luck and happy stitchings! 8-)

Joyce said...

Good question. I think wonky drives some people crazy and they'd hate it. Probably consulting each person is a good idea unless you take T's advice and make them get over themselves. Lol.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm all for wonky blocks. I've been in several swaps and they blocks that speak the most are the ones that were made with joy and passion, and creative expression of the maker. That's what makes samplers so cool, they are a sample of each of us. I say go for it, and have fun!

Purple Pam said...

I have been involved in quite a few exchanges. My philosophy is: use what you get. If you don't like it, don't use it. I don't mean to be so blunt, but when you receive these blocks/etc. you can use them as you wish. If you don't like something, you don't have to use it. These are your blocks/etc. Since you have possession, do with them as you wish. This quilt will be your quilt and you give yourself permission to design it as you wish. Go for it. Work outside the box!

Sara said...

Decide if you are Expressing Yourself in this exchange, or if you are Pleasing the Receiver. Then go with YOUR choice between these two.
Or, there are other ways of looking at it. . . .How to Fit My Block Into the Others. . . .
Hmm. . .I see that you have a problem.

So I say, have a discussion at your group meeting! (I bet everyone won't agree.) Then at least you'll have a bead on who is uptight and who isn't!

em's scrapbag said...

I believe no outfit is complete without a few threads. LOL. Have a great day!!!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>