Tuesday 9 November 2010

Big impact with little quilts


Purple nine-patch
Originally uploaded by scrapsandstrings
I've been adding up the totals of what my 11 little quilts donated to the Alzheimer Art Quilt Initiative have raised so far: $520 give or take a few cents, and that's in American dollars (which today are worth the same as my Canadian loonies). My little selvage quilt in the post below sold for $50 in Houston, and the little Amish one for a whopping $80. If you multiply it all out, it's a lot of money for very little quilts. Together, these quilts would make up a quarter of a single quilt (about 1200 sq. inches compared to 4800 in a 60 by 80 quilt) and they're profited $520. If you like donating quilts to a good cause, this is one that gives you great satisfaction in terms of the money raised.  And it uses up the tiniest bits too, like these hand-dyed scraps in the quilt here, which measures 11 by 11 inches, and so couldn't be a AAQI quilt, so I gave it to as friend as a candle mat.
 I'm thinking of joining the $1000 challenge over at AAQI,  since I'm already more than halfway there.

7 comments:

Barb said...

What an amazing thing you are doing....just wonderful!

Jeanne said...

You are making a huge difference with your little quilts!

9patchnurse said...

Wow! Great job. You should definitely join the 1000 dollar crowd. Your amish quilt was perfect, yay for $80. My little quilt went for $55 and I'm tickled pink. I will definitely send more, maybe even join the club.

Gabriela said...

Wonderfull!!!

Regards
Gaby

http://eltallerdegabi.blogspot.com/

Tonya Ricucci said...

it was seeing the AAQI booth at Houston - they really have it well set up. sorry I didn't see your quilts there!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Supporting the work of AAQI, one little quilt at a time, is soulfully satisfying on SO many levels.

Go for the $1,000 Promise and don't look back!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Fabulous!! and the people who bought the quilts are lucky folks, too

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>