Sunday 3 May 2009

Beautiful applique and strong graphics

Here's more pictures from the Barnswallows Quilt Show in Morden, Manitoba, Canada, May 1 to 3. Above is a snowball quilt made by Lorna Barclay for her grandson Graham. He chose the fabric (about 30 fat quarters) and with grandma's quiltmaking skills, it turned out to be a quilt with really strong graphics. This is a great example of how a simple block can be really stunning.
Morden is full of Dear Jane followers, and this is the first finished one I've seen at this show. Maker Evelyn Hoeppner explains how she tried to followed Jane Stickles' colour scheme. Click on the photo for the explanation.

Here's most of the whole thing -- sorry for cutting off the border. Lovely, lovely work. The Dear Janes in Morden are purists -- no CDs or patterns for them, just the book, and they get together to compare notes on how they made the blocks. There was another DJ in pastels on the UFO table (unfiinished objects or works in process). What was interesting was how small the Dear Jane is compared to the queen sized quilts all around it. Obviously made for a smaller bed. I admire the handwork involved in this, and I'm casting about for a long term handwork project myself, but I don't think I'm going in the DJ direction, although its tempting.

This one was hanging adjacent to DJ -- both were at the end of adjacent rows, so it was interesting to compare them. It is made by Betty Klassen, a very fine applique quilter who started the local quilt shop in town (now Quilter's Jewel, owned by another very fine hand quilter and appliquer, Pearl Braun Dyck.) Together those women have been responsible (with a few others) for a quiltmaking renaissance in Southern Manitoba and beyond.) I love the fact Betty used solids here in a very traditional design, but it still remains fresh. It was machine quilted exquisitely by Katie Friesen, who was the featured quilter and also a finalist in the $100,000 quilter's challenge for her William Morris quilt. Sadly, I didn't take any pictures of Katie's stuff.
One last shot of a Baltimore-style quilt with hearts, appliqued by one woman and machine quilted by another as a gift to their mother. Bad, bad, bad journalist -- I didn't record their names.

8 comments:

Donna said...

interesting which ones you took photos of... I'll start posting some of mine early in the week, but I'm a bad bad person -- I take the pic for my electronic idea journal, so don't keep straight who made it for whom...

PrairiePeasant said...

I can understand the challenge and satisfaction of working on the Dear Jane quilt, but it's not on my list of "projects I might complete in this lifetime" yet. Applique could be something I'd like to learn to do better though.

Purple Pam said...

Great pictures of beautiful quilts. Thanks for sharing. I am not into DJ either. Too much work for me!

The Calico Cat said...

Love the snowball quilt!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I love the original Jane Stickle quilt, but would I want to make the same quilt? Not a chance. Take the idea and then figure out each individual block myself... that would be more interesting.

Clare said...

Although I love the DJ quilts and am in awe of anyone who makes them, I can never see myself making one. Too much angst and I'd get bored after 6 months.

Janet said...

Thank you for sharing

Scrappy quilter said...

I so wanted to attend this show, however plans just didn't work out. Now I wish I had.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>