Monday 23 April 2018

I sew and quilt in fits and starts-- and recently I had a flurry of activity.
Somewhere in a galaxy far away I found two bits of Star Trek material.
They were probably in some sort of scrap bag.
I turned one bit into a large zipper bag, lined with vinyl,
for the Trekkie guy who lives with me.

The other bit I turned into a Star Trek tea cozy for a silent auction prize.
It also included a hot pad, a Brown Betty teapot,
and some tea.
The prize package made $40 at a fundraiser
and the 20-something Trekkie who bought it loves it.

Trekkie son and I had an extended conversation on which direction
this print should face. We finally decided on this way.

And the only part of Star Trek -- of any generation--
that I relate to: Captain Picard and I share a love for the same type of tea.

Some of you may have heard about the bus crash
that took the lives of 16 hockey players and coaches of the Humboldt Broncos in Saskatchewan.
The local quilt guilds put a call for lap quilts in the Broncos' colours
to be distributed to emergency personnel, host families, and others affected by the tragedy.
They are asking for 500 quilts, but from what I see in social media
I think they will get a lot more.
Check out #quiltsforbroncos on Instagram.

I made my contribution entirely from stash. 
My yellow is not gold enough,
and that gold is a bit dark, 
but it is pieced and quilted and bound
and delivered to a local quilt shop shipping the quilts free to Humboldt,
where the local quilters have designed a special label to attach to all the quilts.

I'm not a hockey mom, 
but I have sent my sons on a bus on long school trips
and hoped the worst wouldn't happen.


2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I like Earl Grey Hot, too ... good on all of you making the Broncos quilts.

patty a. said...

The quilt turned out very nice and I am sure someone will truly appreciate it. You are amazing the way you can turn bits of a novelty print into very cool items!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>