Friday 26 May 2017

Friday Finishes


I've made some progress on long overdue projects.
First up is a baby quilt from solid flying geese 
originally intended for a double quilt for my son.
He got a double quilt recently from grandma
so I decided to sew these into two projects:
a baby quilt for a soon-to-be born neighbour
and a throw quilt for whatever.

I may be late for the baby, but I'm early for this wedding.
I combined a $7 package of denim rectangles
with some Jane Sassaman prints from the bargain bin
for a picnic and beach blanket.
That black patch pocket on the lower right is hiding a zippered pocket
perfect for stowing keys or a phone.
The wedding couple requested purple
and I like how that stripe frames the blanket,
Here's a shot of the two coordinating backing prints--
the stripes and yellow jackets on purple.
I'm not a fan of stinging insects,
but maybe these provide a little insurance against the real thing
during an upcoming picnic.

My friend Val suggested using an old pair of jeans
to make a tote bag for the blanket.
I threw in a set of four napkins from the wasp print
and the new owners loved it all.
Now they have pockets for water bottles and snacks
and a place to keep the blanket clean in the car trunk.

Here's some more repurposing:
I needed red for the back of a pillow for my niece
and I used the strip sets and fabrics left over
from the red and grey chevron quilt I pieced for a friend last year
and my friend Yvonne hand quilted.
This is the floating chevron quilt.
When I was making it, an older and thrifty quilting friend
was concerned I was wasting too much fabric
because there were leftover strips.
I assured her I would find a place for them
and now I did.

This is a better view of the hand quilting by Yvonne.


And this is the front of the pillow.
Kara's favourite colour is red
followed by black and white.
I figured I hit the mark on this one,
and I used up lots of black and white novelty prints
so there's an I Spy quality about it.

Thanks for stopping by.
I'm linking up with other Friday finishers:

9 comments:

patty a. said...

Wow you had gotten a lot done! Good job! The quilts all turned out wonderful and the other projects rock too! I have to ask about how you made the tote from the jeans. Did you just cut the jeans across at the crotch and then sew it across the width of the jeans? I like how the purple webbing looks like a belt!

Dolores said...

It feels good to complete something that has been left. Great projects and I love the flying geese.

Ariane said...

So many great finished projects! I love the solid flying geese quilt. The colours you chose are beautiful!! The idea of the hidden pocket is genius on the picnic quilt. I had a denim quilt on my bed as a child. It was one of my favourites in the winter as we only heated with a wood stove and it would keep me warm all night even when the fire went out. The red pillow you made is beautiful too! I love the front and the back equally!!

Vicki in MN said...

I especially love the red/gray quilt and red pillow!

em's scrapbag said...

Great finishes! The zipper pocket in the beach/picnic quilt was genius.

Ann said...

Yes. So. Amy great finishes. Love the colors and fabrics you used for each. As others wrote, the zipper pouch and bag are useful additions. I like the way you used the red scraps. Need to remember to make pillows. Thanks for sharing.

Cher said...

love all these finishes and re-purposing of leftovers..thanks for the inspiration !

Gale Bulkley said...

Beautiful pieces. Love them all, especially the thrifty bits.

Anonymous said...

It feels good to complete something that has been left. Great projects and I love the flying geese.

ผลบอลเมื่อคืน

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>