Friday 6 November 2015

Free range triangles for Friday

I spent last evening digging around in my triangle box
and came up with tiny bonus triangles from two long ago projects.
The one above measures 8.5 by 11 inches,
and is made from 1 inch HST blocks, more or less.
These are left over from one of my very first quilts
and aren't colours or prints I would use now.

15.5 by 6.75 inches

This little hanging of Christmas trees against a snowy background
are the off cuts of a Christmas house table runner
I won from Mrs. Moen's blog at least five years ago.
It was time to put them together and add them to
the other Christmas tree quilts I will display in December.
These HST blocks finish at 1.25 inches.

Both of these use triangles in a free form way,
inspired by the title of this this book, which is on my Christmas list:

I'm a fan of Gwen's work
and I don't need to read the book (although I want to)
to know she would advocate a little wonkiness and less precision in piecing triangles.

Here they are together, on the deck
where wet snowflakes fell on them during the photo shoot. 

Both are machine quilted because little triangles 
make lots of seam allowances terrible for hand quilting.
I like the pattern from the back on the green quilt.

I'm linking up with other Friday finishers at

5 comments:

Carli The Quilter said...

Nice little triangles! I love when I can just pop things together and I'm becoming a fan of small quilts more and more. This string quilt is lovely!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have the book and hope you get your copy - you will love it!

GranthamLynn said...

Great job. I want to make some Christmas things. Thanks for sharing yours. Have a great weekend.

patty a. said...

Two cute little pieces! I having been making improv triangles for awhile, but I think it is a completely different method from Gwen's. I haven't seen her book, but I bet it is full of inspiration!

Kucki68 said...

Thanks for mentioning the book, not sure how I missed it. Just had to get myself a little early christmas gift.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>