Sunday 8 June 2014

New on the sewing table


Last week, a Featherweight 221 (top) came to live at my house.
My neighbour offered it to me when she saw me carrying 
my 222K from the car to the house after a sewing day.
We made plans for me to come by and see the machine,
but for one reason or another, that meeting only happened last week.

Now I'm the proud owner of this 1948 221 Singer Featherweight.
It's in lovely shape, with only a few scratches.
It had lived in its case for 40 straight years,
but sewed a beautiful seam right out of the box.
I dusted and oiled it yesterday and it runs fine,
although it's a bit noisy.

Here's the Egyptian scroll faceplate.

My 222K (at left) has the striated face plate
The 222K has a free arm and the feed dogs can be lowered.

Here's the machines side by side, with the 222K at left.
It is slightly taller.
At right on the bottom is the accessories tray for the 221.
It came only with one foot, and a few bobbins,
but I already have several boxes of  Singer attachments,
so I'm fine with that.

Here's the difference in the cases.
The 222K is slightly taller than the 221.

Did I mention how much I paid?
My neighbour wouldn't take any money,
since she says she didn't pay for it.
She's happy to have found a good home for her mother's machine,
and I'm happy to give it a good home.

I'm linking up with Judy's Design Wall Mondays.
Instead of having something new on the design wall,
this week I have something new on the sewing table.
I'm also linking up with Stitch by Stitch's Anything Goes Mondays.


12 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

Wish I had neighbors like that. Mine just want me to make things for free. Love you new little toy, I'm jealous!

Jodi said...

Score! Sweet little machine, sweeter price!

Dolores said...

I wasn't going to comment - because, you see, I'm jealous. For years it's been on my list for b-day, Christmas, Mother's Day, etc. 'Nuff said.

Terri said...

We should all have such nice neighbors! You should make her something nice with it.
Hugs

Char said...

Wow, that's a beautiful machine!

Quiltdivajulie said...

ENJOY!!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Congratulations! It is sweet that your neighbor just gave it to you because you love to sew...I think a mini quilt and a baked delight would be a fitting thank you.

Angela FlowersMoore said...

What a generous neighbor, congratulations. 40 years in a box and sew like a dream, whatelse could you ask for?

LuAnn said...

Wow! What a great deal. It's a beautiful machine

Clare said...

I wish I had a neighbour like yours. It's my dream to own a Featherweight.

Teresa Rawson said...

How nice to have such a lovely, engaging neighbor! Enjoy your new family member!

Anonymous said...

Lucky you! I love my featherweights!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>