Wednesday 29 May 2013

Spring strings

I'm linking this to Rachel's Festival of Strings because
most of my recent quilts have been strings.

And there's a few more in my future as well,
similar to this one, which measures 60 by 80.
For the past few months, I've been collecting string pieced strips measuring 6 by 12 inches
from my local quilting friends to support a local emergency shelter.
I've been overwhelmed by string blocks,
and I think I have enough to make four quilts for the shelter.
Other folks have generously donated backings and the batting.

I've divided the string blocks into colour families.
This one features lots of pink strings, and a pink binding and backing.
Not only have we pulled together to support a local cause,
I've also been spreading the delights of making string quilts
among my friends.
My mother has sewn up 30-year-old scraps into 300 inches of string blocks!

I machine quilted this one with my Juki -- straight lines on either side of the seams
and freemotion squiggles and leaves and spirals in each of the columns.

This is the first large quilt I've freemotioned,
and I've figured out a better arrangement of tables and ironing boards
to support the quilt as I free motion.


I used a yellow variegated Aurifil thread on top for the quilting lines.
Here's a photo of the back, which shows the quilting lines.

Thanks Rachel for your Festival of Strings.
Please visit my group string blog, String Thing Along for some more great string quilts.

11 comments:

Sewgreen said...

I love your quilt!!

beth said...

ooooh! i love the quilting on this one! Great job!

~Niki~ said...

very beautiful. Chinese coins are my very fav pattern-I've done tons of quilts with this pattern.

PrairiePeasant said...

Nice work!

Nifty Quilts said...

Beautiful! Love the variety and the pastel colors.

Kathy S. said...

Gorgeous! I love your FMQ! Congrats on a great finish. I am now a new follower. Just love your strings!!!

Will Cook for Shoes said...

Where do you get your aurifil from? I have such a hard time finding any here in the city. Thanks! Trina

www.willcookforshoes.ca
tgallop@mts.net

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

You have done a great job with the string blocks! Such a bright and happy quilt!
How do you handle the seam allowances going this way and that when you piece the coloumns together without sashing? I found quite a bit of pinning neccesary to avoid chunky interesections, and was wondering If there was a simpler way.

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Thanks for making quilts to bless others. Glad you joined the festival too!

Mary Marcotte said...

This one is a very pretty quilt! All these string quilts have inspired me....it's time to dig in! Thanks for the ideas.

Cher said...

another wonderful string quilt-great job! you have given me a great idea to help in my own quilting of this size quilt-so an extra thanks!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>