Friday 20 January 2012

Feathers for Friday

Baby feathers
36 by 36 inches
machine pieced and quilted

I've got two finishes for this Friday, both with lots of freehand feathers.
This one features a round wreath of feathers in the white blocks,
and square wreath of feathers in the pieced blocks.

Ever since I bought my Juki a year ago, I've been practicing free motion quilting
and I've gotten the hang of free hand feathers.
(I still stink at basic stippling. go figure.)
Other than the circles I drew for the stem of the feathers
these are entirely freehand.

Here's a view of the back.
Since I was using up scraps from another baby quilt,
I pieced together the green and blue patches
to make the one yard of backing to fit the quilt.
I have to say I'm used to buying a metre (39 inches) of fabric
so a yard seems really short.
I used a blue and white dot print from American Jane for the binding.

I used a Hobbs polydown batt in it,
which gives the feathers lots of loft. 


 Scrappy coin quilt
32 by 34 inches
machine pieced and quilted

This little quilt uses up old scraps and new
and has machine quilted ribbons in a variegated thread in the middle
and freehand fans around the blue border.


I was planning on a dark binding
until I found enough cut, pieced, and pressed binding
in the blue border print, leftover from another quilt
so I used that up.

Here both quilts are lying in the snowy shadows of my front yard
in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada,
to show off the texture from the feathers.

Both these quilts will be donated to a good cause
as part of my guild's
Year of the Baby Quilt project.

I'm linking up with Amanda's Finish It Fridays
and Amy Lou. 
Thanks for stopping by and if you're interested,
check out the rest of my blog here.

9 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

lovely freehand feathers ... I'm duly impressed!

Love the snowy photo!

Barb said...

What a fantastic job!!

Dolores said...

Wow, all that work and you're giving them away? Those are wonderful and you are so very generous.

Nifty Quilts said...

Your quilting is exquisite!

antique quilter said...

Baby feathers is amazing , love, love, love your quilting.
I really like your little quilt too, I have made a few similar, great way to use some of your favorite fabric scraps!
Have a great weekend
Kathie

Heather said...

Those are both just beautiful! Love the feathers! I just ventured into FMQing this past year, and I'm so inspired to see things like this... thanks! :o)

Janet said...

Your feathers are awesome! It gives me hope.......just keeping practicing, I tell myself.

Abby said...

I'm so impressed with your feathers - you're giving me courage to try them out myself!

Michelle said...

Your feathers are gorgeous!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>