Monday 12 September 2011

Going crazy on a crazy quilt

 This quilt came as a package deal with my husband 20 years ago, but as far as we know,
it's not a family heirloom, but purchased in a thrift shop.
I like the herringbone embroidery, the use of wools patches, and the red ties.
But the quilt was lumpy and unusable, and had a few rips in the front and back.

So I took advantage of a nice day and kept ripping away the back to find very clumped up cotton filling.
(I'm thinking this isn't re-usable, but I'm willing to listen to other opinions on this.).
The top is pieced by machine onto a large piece of muslin, and then embroidered.


Here's the top minus the clumpy filling and the polycotton backing.
 I cut the backing away so the ties wouldn't come out.
\You can see a hole in the purple fabric in the middle, but for the most part, it's in good shape.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this -- I may use it as fabric for floor pillows or a shoulder bag or two, or maybe I'll turn it back into a bed covering.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

This would be really easy to fix back into a usable utility crazy quilt......I would throw all the cotton wadding away and start with new if you are going to use wadding....you could just add a backing for a light summer throw....

Barb said...

Oh...it has been in the family for so long....why not just back it....lovely quilt!!

fabriquefantastique said...

lots of possibilities in that fabric. I believe it is 'foundation pieced'

Myra said...

Wow Brenda! That was/is an ambitious job you've got there!! Good for you!!
I say put a new batting/backing and put it back to warm use! 8-)
Have a great weekend!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>