Tuesday 13 January 2009

Stroke of midnight quilt is finished!

My crumb quilt with pumpkin sashing is no longer a fungly and has found a new home on my friend's futon. She fell in love with the scrappy blocks and the pumpkin sashing and borders, and I made it fit her bed with the wide navy borders.
Here's a close up of the blocks, made from the bits and strips left over from the River Quilt I made with a classroom of grade 4, 5 and 6 students last year. My son and my friend's son were both in that class. I had originally intended to use the crumb blocks to make a donation quilt for Mennonite Central Committee, but I mixed up measurements and came up with a 70 by 72 inch quilt instead of 60 by 80. With the addition of the navy borders to match the navy corner stones, it has turned into a great quilt. I made some pillowcases to match.


I put their initials in a block in the front, using a variety of blues and background fabrics, to match the scrappiness of the rest. You can see here that its quilted in an allover meander design.

and one last shot of it full size, with the help of my guild friends last night. This should have been a 2008 finish, but I had binding block. It took me forever to handstitch around it. Because of its pumpkin colour, I named it "Stroke of Midnight" (shades of Cinderella).


17 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a fun quilt!

PrairiePeasant said...

This quilt looks even better in person! The pumpkin colour is a perfect complement to the crumb blocks. Well done, Brenda!

jovaliquilts said...

Terrific! I love the cornerstones, and the general controlled chaos of the quilt. No wonder your friend wanted it!

Elaine Adair said...

Great finish, great use of scraps!

Sharon said...

That's a great quilt! I love the contrast of the blues and the pumpkin colors. What a great use of scraps!
I hear you about the binding issue. I'm having the same problem with one of my quilts. It's just glacial, it's so slow, and I'm totally unmotivated. One day....

Clare said...

I hear you on the binding block.

This is one gorgeous gorgeous quilt. No wonder your friend fell in love with it. Controlled scrappy.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congrats on the finish!! Not fungly at all ~ very nice indeed!!

Joyce said...

Beautiful! You have a lucky friend.

Myra said...

Wonderful quilt! I'm sure your friend will appreciate the gift for years to come!!! 8-)
Love your selvage bag too! What a great idea for a project bag...hmmmm?
Happy stitchings!

em's scrapbag said...

Love the quilt. I really like how the blues and orange are working together.

Anonymous said...

wonderful quilt, nice way to use scraps.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

I love it. I guess that you can't have too much orange fabric!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I love it, Brenda. Fabulous colors and the initials are a marvelous touch. turned out great.

Magpie Sue said...

Fabulous! Love the block with the initials - great idea. What a fortunate friend you have!

Karen said...

Very nice! I love the pumpkin and navy together.

Wendy said...

I love the way you set your crumb blocks and the addition of your initials. I have a pile of crumb blocks and this may be the inspiration I needed. Thanks!

Andrea, the little collector said...

Cool personalization and fun color contrast!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>