Friday 6 May 2016

Building barns part 2

I've been building houses a long time,
so I didn't hesitate when Julie asked me to join
the Secret Society of Barn Builders
to test out the instructions in her new book, Build-A-Barn.

I'm starting with scraps in this quick tutorial,
using up a collection of pink bits.


Here I've sewn house fabric around the windows
and installed the front door.



I added background fabric to the sides of the house
and cut two triangles ( a square cut in half)
for the sky around the roof.
You can see I decided to flatten the roof to keep it 
from overwhelming the house.

But it doesn't have to be complicated.
Here's a 2.5 inch square and a coordinating triangle from the scrap bin.


I put a larger piece of blue sky fabric on the cutting mat
placed the roof triangle centred on the bottom,
and cut around it.

That leaves a sky fabric triangle for the scrap bin
and ensures the edges of the block are not on the bias.

I sewed chunks of sky fabric beside the orange square,
joined the roof section to the house base,
and found a bit of green scrap
to ground the house.

These are basic steps and you can get as fancy as you like 
in putting in architectural details.

My giveaway of Julie's barn book is still open for another day here.





4 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Like the alternate method for creating the roof angles in the sky fabric. Your houses are always SO wonderful!

Lucia Sasaki said...

Brazillian Greetings, Brenda!
Thanks for sharing it!
I like your posts, they are so inspiring!

Lara B. said...

A very cute house Brenda and a nice illustration of how even the simplest piecing makes a great little barn!

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh Oh, I LOVE your first house fabrics!! Great little tutorial. I LOVE making houses and haven't made one in forever.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>