Tuesday 4 May 2010

There's something about seeing your own quilt at a show....

So, when the rest of you display a quilt at a show, do you hover near it, or try to stay away? I did both, but I have to say, a quilt looks different hanging in public with other quilts than it does at home.  Here it is beside a wall hanging made by my aunt. I'm guessing the show organizers didn't plan to have family quilts together, but it worked out that way because of space.
Just to keep it all in the family for a moment, here's a quilt pieced by my mother Meg Suderman as a commission and handquilted by by the person who commissioned it. My mother got the pattern and a stack of batiks and had fun putting the colours together. I tried to persuade her to include a few wonky stars, but because it wasn't her quilt, she didn't feel free to experiment. I hadn't seen the completed quilt, and it definitely glowed with all those fun colours.
This appliqued one is made by Pearl Braun-Dyck for her husband. She's a very good applique-r and handquilter, but along the way got frustrated with handquilting black on black, so sent it out to be machine quilted just to get it off the UFO pile. So up close, it was obvious that some parts were hand quilted and others not, however it is quilted, it is still a great quilt.


These two quilts were made by Evelyn Hoeppner and I like them for their scrappiness. The log cabin one was one of two she had made using old silk ties. I have a bunch of ties too, but I'm not sure how to cut them down without a lot of frustration with all the bias edges.


And a few treasures from Moda and Kaufman in one-yard cuts. I really like that dill flower one at the far left and the letter one at the right.

5 comments:

Dena said...

All of these are lovely quilts. Thanks for sharing.

Marit said...

Love, love, love your quilt - it is so vibrant and fun! It is really glowing. My favorite out of all of them
; )

Clare said...

Love your aunt's quilt. Has she been inspired by her niece?

Joyce said...

Your mother's and your aunt's quilts were two of my favorites in the show, aside from yours of course. I still love wonky houses and letters the best.

Loris said...

Talented family and beautiful quilts! I love those fabric splurges too. That was a fun quilt show :-)

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>