Tuesday 2 June 2009

Beautiful colours

I spent my birthday in the most fun way: my quilt guild went to my mom's studio, 90 minutes away from our city, for a dyeing workshop. Check out Laura's blog for more details on the process and her lovely results. Despite my mother being a hand dyer and teacher for 20 years, I had never done more than a few t-shirts (and a bit of yardage in purple), mostly because she is very generous with her fabrics. So this is my first attempt at dyeing the spectrum with Procion dyes, in the fall dark range of colours.

I'm generally happy with them, although there are more oranges than I expected, and the red isn't terribly red. But there are many variables in this process, and I did manipulate and twist the fabrics to get variations in the colour. I'm happy with the range of colour on a piece of fabric.
At the end of the workshop there was still dye and fabric left, so I folded half metre cuts of unbleached muslin and then put rubber bands on the folded bundle for some resist lines. Except for the yellow, these are from the summer line of dyes. I'm happy with this yardage in primaries, and I'm going to share them with my guild (under instructions from mom, although I'm tempted to keep them.)

And then we pushed the experiment once more, and overdyed some white on white yardage in purple and red. I love how that crochet look flower pops out. (I'm supposed to share these too. Come on, it was my birthday!)
After a lovely potluck lunch on the deck as well as two birthday cakes, we packed up and headed to a local quilt store, and then some of us saw Joyce's show on the last day. It was a great day in quiltland.


10 comments:

Kim Brackett said...

Happy Birthday!

Love your fabrics. I'll be that was a lot of fun. The white-on-white prints look really cool!

Desiree said...

Happy Birthday! I used to dye my own fabrics all the time and I loved using white on white fabrics, it was almost magical! Beautiful results you got!!

jovaliquilts said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like it really was. Your dyed fabric is wonderful. Neat that your mom does it, but she may be pushing the sharing lessons too far!!

Joyce said...

You got wonderful results. I bet you are infected with the dyeing bug as well as the quilting one now! What kind of white fabric did you use to dye? Thanks again for the tea cozy.

Sharon said...

Your fabrics look wonderful, and that W-O-W came out beautifully! What a fun day! Are you hooked now? And I agree, your mom shouldn't make you share too much when it was your birthday! But, then again, you can always go back and do it again!

PrairiePeasant said...

Your colours are quite different from mine, but very beautiful too--more earthy/golden. Interesting how some of the colours show more than 1 colour in the results--mine did this too. I'm curious about what results you might get if you overdye some of the Uglies in your stash...

Purple Pam said...

Wonderful colors. I especially like the white on white when they are habd dyed. Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday. Good for you!

Magpie Sue said...

Happy Birthday from me too! What a surprising result from dyeing the white on white fabric. Love the way it turned out though!

Red Pepper Quilts - Rita Hodge said...

Sounds like a wonderful and productive day! Love the crochet look dying! Looks soooo effective!

Rita

jmb_craftypickle said...

Happy Birthday...love the Birks! Your rainbow of fabrics is fabulous. I have wanted hand dyed fabrics, but when I think of doing it myself....AkkKKKK!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>