Thursday 7 May 2009

Fabric, books and more fabric

I've been sewing steadily this winter, making a good dent in my accumulated scraps and yardage, when I hit the jackpot yesterday. Take a look at this box my mother cleared from her stash. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, but there's a huge mixture of oldies and goodies and some just plain uglies. Look at that very bright bargelo sample in the back leftover from a class she taught. She figured I could use it somewhere. After I dig through it, I'm keeping some, and then finding a new home for the rest. I'll keep you posted. Thanks, Mom!

To contrast with the box of lovingly pre-owned (and did I mention pre-washed! yeah!) fabrics, here's some of the new goodies I bought at the show last weekend. I got a bunch of b/w and word fat quarters from one vendor, as well as a yard of black from another. Don't ya love that zipper fabric?

Here's some one-yard cuts from Tanell's and the one on the right is a Blue Meadow Design. I threw in that butterfly one I got at a discount fabric store to show off the selvage with Japanese characters. (I know, I know, I'm turning into a crazy selvage lady.) Just wait, there's more.
And here it is. Joyce gave me a big grocery bag of her recent selvages. This makes me more happy that all those lovely new cuts. How crazy is that? And please note: I store my selvages haphazardly in a grocery bag. I've been seeing pictures of lovely selvage collections in various blogs, but mine are just shoved into a bag.
And to make it more interesting, many of them are from the same Mocha Meringue line, which means I could do something un-scrappy with selvages, if that's not a contradiction.
And to top it off, this week I got two books from Scrappy Quilter Carol in her giveaway. Thanks very much. I'm enjoying them already.

And here's two I bought at the sale table at the quilt show. These are oldies, but very, very much goodies.


I've been inspired already with a scrappy little square within a square.
Now back to work, everyone. Wasn't that fun?
(A quick question: somewhere in blogland, I saw a post about how to put pix side by side, using the "none" format. Could anyone help me with this? Thanks!)

12 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I am interested in the answer to your side by side question too.

Joyce said...

It looks like a bit of fabric heaven around your place right now. I'm glad you are enjoying the selvages. I have already started another bag for you. A friend of my daughter wants a yellow quilt so there may be a lot of yellows turning up.

PrairiePeasant said...

Busy busy busy....but always inspiring.

I use the "none" setting most often. You may have to shrink your pics so they fit side by side, and hold the "shift" key down while you do to keep it in proportion. Then just drag the pics around.

Tonya Ricucci said...

whee, fun new and new-to-you fabric. I love that World of Amish Quilts - one of my favorites. ooh, that new bit of piecing looks intriguing...

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Prairie peasant has it right.
when your on the upload image page, under choose layout, click the NONE circle... then you can move images, resize them on the post, you'll have to make horizontal images smaller to get them to fit side by side... good luck!

That's so fun to get scraps from your mothers stash! What treasures in their!!! I wish I had my mothers stash!!

jovaliquilts said...

Yes, yes, the zipper fabric is fabulous! I've never seen it before.

Do you want more selvages? I started cutting some but there are just too many other things that are higher on my list. I'll be happy to send you mine.

Cher said...

fun stuff-you are lucky your mom is a quilter too. love the black and white fabrics- my favorite is the jigsaw puzzle one.

Carol E. said...

Great fabrics! I shove my selvages into a box.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What fun, I love the fabrics you got. But I have a question--what selvedges? I sew mine right into my quilts. I don't generally cut them off. I call those edges "strings." I'll have to start looking for selvedges, I guess.

Purple Pam said...

Isn't it fun getting packages? What a joyful surprise! Your mom has lots of great stuff. It's playtime for sure, now.

Clare said...

Goodness. The stash has been replenished big time, as have the bookshelves. I love the zipper fabric and that Amish block looks interesting. Looking forward to seeing more of that.

Janet said...

The answer to your question is on http://funoldhag-carol.blogspot.com/.
I love the zipper and puzzle piece fabrics. Going through your mother's box must have been fun. I know I'm still using some of my mother's stash after 15 years.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>